Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 65.0 Released With WebP Support, Better Security

Phoronix: Firefox 65.0 Released With WebP Support, Better Security

Firefox 65.0 is out today as the latest stable release to Mozilla's open-source, cross-platform web browser...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ox-65-Released

• finalzone
    replied
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    I’m most excited about further wayland and headerbar integration.
    Firefox on wayland, header bar integration and enabled hardware acceleration with amdgpu driver provide a smooth experience.

Code:
    User Agent     Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Fedora; Linux x86_64; rv:65.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/65.0
    OS     Linux 4.20.6-200.fc29.x86_64
    Compositing    OpenGL
    Asynchronous Pan/Zoom    wheel input enabled; touch input enabled; scrollbar drag enabled; keyboard enabled; autoscroll enabled
    Active    Yes
    Description    X.Org -- AMD RAVEN (DRM 3.27.0, 4.20.6-200.fc29.x86_64, LLVM 7.0.0)
    Vendor ID    X.Org
    Device ID    AMD RAVEN (DRM 3.27.0, 4.20.6-200.fc29.x86_64, LLVM 7.0.0)
    Driver Version    4.4 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 18.2.8

Leave a comment:

• johnp117
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    Which is strange, because FF64 automatically launches as a Wayland application by default with that build option.
    FF64 from OpenSuse or from Mozilla? Distro maintainers may have added their own patches because the GDK_BACKEND switch was rather impractical. This was fixed in bug 1522780 by introducing a separate environment variable (MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND) that doesn't affect other applications.

Leave a comment:

• johnp117
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    The env var I understand, but browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar... I thought that setting only worked on Windows?
    AFAIK the unix and windows pref were unified to browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1214217
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1418829#c4

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
    It's called progressive enhancement.
    are you sure you wanted to reply to me?

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by grok View Post
    BTW I tried Thunderbird and got this same style of GUI with no window title bar and hamburger menu. I was pissed. I thought this is a traditional, old, complex piece of software and not a browser.
    Again: Xerox GlobalView desktop environment introduced headerbars and hamburger menus way back when, even before Thunderbird was born, so what is your definition of "old software"?

Leave a comment:

• DoMiNeLa10
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    no, i'm smart enough to use mp3 for old files and something else for new
    It's called progressive enhancement. If your website doesn't work properly in links you're doing it wrong. I don't care if some irrelevant browser works as well as a text browser. Alt text is there in case pictures don't work.

Leave a comment:

• 144Hz
    replied
    LPT to all haters. Insist on spelling it csD.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by KellyClowers View Post

No one is running desktop software on "mobile" (phones/small tables).

For smaller laptops, A) they need to increase the resolution which is usually something shitty like 900, and B) even then, fuck CSD.
    I run LibreOffice on my phone in an Arch Linux Arm chroot over VNC so I can draft up contracts. There might be an app that does what I need, but why change when I don't have to? I used to do Android roms and whatnot and it was nice having Kate, syntax highlighting, and git when on the go. I keep the VNC around because it's handy having the same programs everywhere...granted it is awkward, but it works...

That makes 1 person running Plasma and desktop software on mobile. I'd have it on my tablet but I need a larger SD. FF Tactics, SoTN, and a bunch of other random games are more important.

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Just successfully built Firefox 65 on OpenSUSE 15.0

Seems like the Wayland backend is not automatically used even when ac_add_options --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk3-wayland is provided at build time. I have to specify the use of Wayland at launch time for FF65 to start as a Wayland application, otherwise it defaults to x11.

Which is strange, because FF64 automatically launches as a Wayland application by default with that build option.

Other than that, there are no immediate user-facing changes that I can see. Most of the improvements are in the backend as usual.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X