Firefox 65.0 Released With WebP Support, Better Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    I feel about CSD the way a lot of people feel about systemd.
    all idiots are alike. csd has nothing to do with how it looks or how many clicks you need. that's property of ONE IMPLEMENTATION. csd means there are no extra compositions, that's all. you are cluelessly confusing csd with "app menu" or something else
    Last edited by pal666; 30 January 2019, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hreindl View Post
      the reason is simply - i owned 20000 mp3 tracks before something better wa available and refuse having a mix of formats because it's overhead to link "mpd" with additional libraries, real overhead
      real overhead is using mp3. use something better and reduce overhead.

Comment

Originally posted by holunder View Post
        majority of actual users who do use other desktops than Gnome/Unity
        majority of users use default desktops. i.e. gnome3/unity

Comment

Originally posted by hreindl View Post
          yeah, you genius would have re-encoded 20000 already lossy compressed titles or what?
          no, i'm smart enough to use mp3 for old files and something else for new

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Dunno what the goal is, but Xerox GlobalView was the first desktop to have CSD's and hamburger menus. So they could've taken their inspiration from either GV or Win (depending on the design team's history).
            Well I was implicitly saying, "works like Firefox on Windows". I'm not sure if the CSD vs SSD distinction makes sense there, it's terminology that immediately makes sense in the X11 world but Windows only ever had one window manager and had custom windows too (e.g. antivirus or random vendor junk)

BTW I tried Thunderbird and got this same style of GUI with no window title bar and hamburger menu. I was pissed. I thought this is a traditional, old, complex piece of software and not a browser. Learning the Firefox hamburger might be fine, you'll use it a lot more and controls are in the toolbar and right-click menu anyway. But Thunderbird.. F*** this. I deleted it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Headerbar will be default from 66 on: https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/01/...csd-by-default
              CSD can burn in hell

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I'm not saying it isn't consistent or bad looking, just that, for me at least, CSD/Gnome 3 gets in my way more than it doesn't. I don't like Gnome 3 from a usability stance, but it is one of the prettiest desktop around due to a lot of the things I dislike about it(outside of flat icons...I really dislike the flat icon trend everyone and their mother seeems to be following).

On mobile and smaller screens, CSD just works better. That's a given. If anyone disagrees, "simply" run a distro with Gnome 3 & KDE 5 (or XFCE) with a VNC on your phone. On desktops and gaming systems using HD resolutions on at least a 13" 4:3 screen, CSD makes no sense in regards to it's goal of saving screen real estate. All that stuff that makes it great on mobile makes it suck on a desktop (again, my opinion).

IMHO, GTK3/CSD should require all programs to have both the current CSD header bar as well as a desktop bar where half the header bar is the old style File Options Help and the other half mimics a traditional title bar that is 100% handled by Mutter (and to blend in with other desktop environments as a bonus)...or a method where Mutter can convert the hamburger to a header menu bar...just some method that gives us the best of both worlds.

(I wish I knew how to program so I wasn't just some asshole making a rant and could actually help implement my ideas or assist a project like gtk3-mushrooms).
                No one is running desktop software on "mobile" (phones/small tables).

For smaller laptops, A) they need to increase the resolution which is usually something shitty like 900, and B) even then, fuck CSD.

Comment

Just successfully built Firefox 65 on OpenSUSE 15.0

Seems like the Wayland backend is not automatically used even when ac_add_options --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk3-wayland is provided at build time. I have to specify the use of Wayland at launch time for FF65 to start as a Wayland application, otherwise it defaults to x11.

Which is strange, because FF64 automatically launches as a Wayland application by default with that build option.

Other than that, there are no immediate user-facing changes that I can see. Most of the improvements are in the backend as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by KellyClowers View Post

No one is running desktop software on "mobile" (phones/small tables).

For smaller laptops, A) they need to increase the resolution which is usually something shitty like 900, and B) even then, fuck CSD.
                    I run LibreOffice on my phone in an Arch Linux Arm chroot over VNC so I can draft up contracts. There might be an app that does what I need, but why change when I don't have to? I used to do Android roms and whatnot and it was nice having Kate, syntax highlighting, and git when on the go. I keep the VNC around because it's handy having the same programs everywhere...granted it is awkward, but it works...

That makes 1 person running Plasma and desktop software on mobile. I'd have it on my tablet but I need a larger SD. FF Tactics, SoTN, and a bunch of other random games are more important.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      no, i'm smart enough to use mp3 for old files and something else for new
                      It's called progressive enhancement. If your website doesn't work properly in links you're doing it wrong. I don't care if some irrelevant browser works as well as a text browser. Alt text is there in case pictures don't work.

Comment

Working...
                      X