Firefox 65.0 Released With WebP Support, Better Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hreindl View Post
    the reason is simply - i owned 20000 mp3 tracks before something better wa available and refuse having a mix of formats because it's overhead to link "mpd" with additional libraries, real overhead other than your "sandboxing is overhead because you have a line more in output of mount"
    Oh yeah, since you love mixing topics so much. If we talk about memory usage (your "real overhead"), a mount has overhead in kernel memory space, which is much more precious and not swappable, while your fucking library is memory mapped so uses even less memory than you think, so STFU.

Comment

Originally posted by hreindl View Post
      tell that your mobile device battery
      Mobile is for peasants.

Comment

Originally posted by holunder View Post
        Their catering to Gnome chimeras is annoying for propably the majority of actual users who do use other desktops than Gnome/Unity (I though there was a stat or survey sometime in the last five years…).
        Most recent survey I can find had KDE as the most used DE and GNOME was at third place, however all the GTK-based DEs combined still held the absolute majority

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

The env var I understand, but browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar... I thought that setting only worked on Windows?
          The whole point of this CSD is to look and work like in Windows me thinks.
          Quick way if you don't like it : to access the "Customize...." option you can right-click on the GUI anywhere other than tha tabs, URL bar and back/forward buttons.

Comment

In general, I'm in favour of CSD, since it cuts down on wasted screen space. But my experience of CSD-based Firefox on Windows is that it has the problem that there's barely a single pixel in the header that you can safely click on... so if you're looking to move the window (e.g to another monitor that you've just plugged in), it's a challenge to find something to drag.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              Personally, on displays over 13" with at least a 768 verticle resolution, CSD makes no sense whatsoever. Most of my QT programs can be configured to use less space with a minimal sized titlebar and the default File Edit header than GTK CSD programs use with everything combined. It's amazing how much space can be saved by tweaking KDE's default font sizes and KWin's title bar size.
              I enabled CSD here and it's integrated with Plasma theme fine.
              Also with Thunderbird https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/0...-with-new.html
              I don't see why I should:
              -waste space in the browser where I need as much space as possible
              -reduce the top bar for every friggin application so the buttons become unclickable.

In FF if you enable the CSD the buttons in the top right corner still match Plasma, it's not like Chrome/ium that uses its own stuff.

EDIT: and I run a fullHD 17'' laptop screen or on a bigass 32'' widescreen 21:9 monitor from LG. Admittedly it's more important for the laptop, I enabled in the main PC only for consistency.
              Last edited by starshipeleven; 30 January 2019, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                I enabled CSD here and it's integrated with Plasma theme fine.
                Also with Thunderbird https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/0...-with-new.html
                I don't see why I should:
                -waste space in the browser where I need as much space as possible
                -reduce the top bar for every friggin application so the buttons become unclickable.

In FF if you enable the CSD the buttons in the top right corner still match Plasma, it's not like Chrome/ium that uses its own stuff.

EDIT: and I run a fullHD 17'' laptop screen or on a bigass 32'' widescreen 21:9 monitor from LG. Admittedly it's more important for the laptop, I enabled in the main PC only for consistency.
                I switch between a 19" 1400x900 monitor and a 49" 1080p TV with my desktop depending on what I'm doing...text editing/internet or games/multimedia. On neither does CSD improve anything to save space in a meaningful way. With some programs like PulseEffects, so much crap is jammed into the header bar that it's a compressed fustercluck (and I don't want to know how bad it'll be at lower resolutions or small, condensed screens since it's pretty bad on my 19" 1400x900 display).

For me, setting the KDE title bar font to 9 and all border/button sizes to tiny works well, saves space, and I don't have to worry about where I grab the top bar to drag a window (though I could map ALT to one of the 12 keys on my mouse and where to grab would be a moot point).

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                  skeevy420 Lucky me. I happen to like header bar designs. Visually it is pleasant and everything just comes naturally.

And here’s the thing. You can never be truly compatible and truly consistent at the same time. So you have to pick one goal.

Fedora, Ubuntu and many other picked a common goal of consistency. So that’s how things gonna be. I think they already made progress that’s easy to verify and quantify.

In the compatibility camp I find nothing but frustrations.
                  To me, title bar and then the program is consistent. Every program might not look the same, but that really isn't a big deal if it works well. It's just fine that GIMP, Firefox, SMPlayer, Steam, Dolphin, Handbrake, and Inkscape all look differently. I don't expect a video transcoder and a game client to have the same UI as a file manager or image editor.

It's like being upset that two different games have a different Options Menu formats and different settings available. What works for one program doesn't necessarily work for another. CSD works well for some things and not for others.

Comment

Originally posted by Apparition B5 View Post

Almost, but not quite yet. Wait until the next Firefox ESR release.
                    I'd love to make sure my websites break for people who insist on using ESR without having to. Images are a luxury anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post

The whole point of this CSD is to look and work like in Windows me thinks.
                      Dunno what the goal is, but Xerox GlobalView was the first desktop to have CSD's and hamburger menus. So they could've taken their inspiration from either GV or Win (depending on the design team's history).

Comment

Working...
                      X