Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 65.0 Released With WebP Support, Better Security

Phoronix: Firefox 65.0 Released With WebP Support, Better Security

Firefox 65.0 is out today as the latest stable release to Mozilla's open-source, cross-platform web browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael

AV1 decoder is now enabled by default which is also quite important.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Michael

It's the only part of the news that is important. WebP will never become ubiquitous.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        Michael

For Windows users only! I'm sure that's why Michael left it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
          WebP will never become ubiquitous.
          It is supported by Chrome/Chromium, Firefox and Edge, that's a massive chunk of the web browser market. Furthermore it's the best lossless image format in terms of compression ratio/decompression speed (blows PNG out of the water on both metrics) so there are serious savings here to be had.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
            Furthermore it's the best lossless image format in terms of compression ratio/decompression speed (blows PNG out of the water on both metrics) so there are serious savings here to be had.
            I think flif is much better. http://flif.info/
            And bpg is better when lossy. http://xooyoozoo.github.io/yolo-octo...3&webp=t&bpg=t

Comment

Originally posted by ipsirc View Post
              I think flif is much better. http://flif.info/
              And bpg is better when lossy.
              FLIF offers slightly better compression, but it is much slower in both compressing and decompressing. BGP, being based upon HEVC, requires patent royalties, so it is dead. Apple supports HEVC through HEIF on their platforms, but again it's not gaining any traction outside of the Apple ecosystem due to patents/royalties.

For a lossy replacement for JPEG, I can think of two possible candidates:

First off we have AVIF which is based upon AV1, and thus royalty free. The second one is PIK which is a image codec from the same people who made WebP, but with better results for lossy, also it is able to losslessly recompress JPEG files with the resulting PIK file becoming ~22% smaller, royalty free as well.

Comment

Why did they even waste time with WebP? The endgame (for this decade) is AVIF.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                  I’m most excited about further wayland and headerbar integration.
                  Headerbar will be default from 66 on: https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/01/...csd-by-default

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
                    Why did they even waste time with WebP? The endgame (for this decade) is AVIF.
                    WebP is great for lossless image compression (much better than the current 'de facto' lossless standard which is PNG), AVIF is likely going to be great for lossy image compression.

Comment

Working...
                    X