Firefox 65.0 Released With WebP Support, Better Security

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    skeevy420 Lucky me. I happen to like header bar designs. Visually it is pleasant and everything just comes naturally.

And here’s the thing. You can never be truly compatible and truly consistent at the same time. So you have to pick one goal.

Fedora, Ubuntu and many other picked a common goal of consistency. So that’s how things gonna be. I think they already made progress that’s easy to verify and quantify.

In the compatibility camp I find nothing but frustrations.
    To me, title bar and then the program is consistent. Every program might not look the same, but that really isn't a big deal if it works well. It's just fine that GIMP, Firefox, SMPlayer, Steam, Dolphin, Handbrake, and Inkscape all look differently. I don't expect a video transcoder and a game client to have the same UI as a file manager or image editor.

It's like being upset that two different games have a different Options Menu formats and different settings available. What works for one program doesn't necessarily work for another. CSD works well for some things and not for others.

Comment

Originally posted by Apparition B5 View Post

Almost, but not quite yet. Wait until the next Firefox ESR release.
      I'd love to make sure my websites break for people who insist on using ESR without having to. Images are a luxury anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post

The whole point of this CSD is to look and work like in Windows me thinks.
        Dunno what the goal is, but Xerox GlobalView was the first desktop to have CSD's and hamburger menus. So they could've taken their inspiration from either GV or Win (depending on the design team's history).

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          I feel about CSD the way a lot of people feel about systemd.
          all idiots are alike. csd has nothing to do with how it looks or how many clicks you need. that's property of ONE IMPLEMENTATION. csd means there are no extra compositions, that's all. you are cluelessly confusing csd with "app menu" or something else
          Last edited by pal666; 01-30-2019, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hreindl View Post
            the reason is simply - i owned 20000 mp3 tracks before something better wa available and refuse having a mix of formats because it's overhead to link "mpd" with additional libraries, real overhead
            real overhead is using mp3. use something better and reduce overhead.

Comment

Originally posted by holunder View Post
              majority of actual users who do use other desktops than Gnome/Unity
              majority of users use default desktops. i.e. gnome3/unity

Comment

Originally posted by hreindl View Post
                yeah, you genius would have re-encoded 20000 already lossy compressed titles or what?
                no, i'm smart enough to use mp3 for old files and something else for new

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Dunno what the goal is, but Xerox GlobalView was the first desktop to have CSD's and hamburger menus. So they could've taken their inspiration from either GV or Win (depending on the design team's history).
                  Well I was implicitly saying, "works like Firefox on Windows". I'm not sure if the CSD vs SSD distinction makes sense there, it's terminology that immediately makes sense in the X11 world but Windows only ever had one window manager and had custom windows too (e.g. antivirus or random vendor junk)

BTW I tried Thunderbird and got this same style of GUI with no window title bar and hamburger menu. I was pissed. I thought this is a traditional, old, complex piece of software and not a browser. Learning the Firefox hamburger might be fine, you'll use it a lot more and controls are in the toolbar and right-click menu anyway. But Thunderbird.. F*** this. I deleted it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Headerbar will be default from 66 on: https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/01/...csd-by-default
                    CSD can burn in hell

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I'm not saying it isn't consistent or bad looking, just that, for me at least, CSD/Gnome 3 gets in my way more than it doesn't. I don't like Gnome 3 from a usability stance, but it is one of the prettiest desktop around due to a lot of the things I dislike about it(outside of flat icons...I really dislike the flat icon trend everyone and their mother seeems to be following).

On mobile and smaller screens, CSD just works better. That's a given. If anyone disagrees, "simply" run a distro with Gnome 3 & KDE 5 (or XFCE) with a VNC on your phone. On desktops and gaming systems using HD resolutions on at least a 13" 4:3 screen, CSD makes no sense in regards to it's goal of saving screen real estate. All that stuff that makes it great on mobile makes it suck on a desktop (again, my opinion).

IMHO, GTK3/CSD should require all programs to have both the current CSD header bar as well as a desktop bar where half the header bar is the old style File Options Help and the other half mimics a traditional title bar that is 100% handled by Mutter (and to blend in with other desktop environments as a bonus)...or a method where Mutter can convert the hamburger to a header menu bar...just some method that gives us the best of both worlds.

(I wish I knew how to program so I wasn't just some asshole making a rant and could actually help implement my ideas or assist a project like gtk3-mushrooms).
                      No one is running desktop software on "mobile" (phones/small tables).

For smaller laptops, A) they need to increase the resolution which is usually something shitty like 900, and B) even then, fuck CSD.

Comment

Working...
                      X