Firefox 65.0 Released With WebP Support, Better Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
    > AV1 decoder is now enabled by default…

For Windows users only!
    About that: At time of writing, Mozilla still haven't enabled dav1d's assembly optimizations on Windows: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1521062

I hope someone just forgot to update the issue tracker, instead of breaking YouTube for Windows users…

Comment

I guess it's time to dance on the grave of JPEG and PNG, and I'm glad the time has finally come, as I've been waiting for years for this to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Headerbar will be default from 66 on: https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/01/...csd-by-default
        That sucks, I hope CSD can be disabled in about:config, CSS, or that the Menu>Customize>Title Bar option is still present. I really don't want to drop Firefox over something as silly as forced CSD...but I just do not like the CSD style or look nor do I like the extra steps of the hamburger over a File Edit Options Help header. I feel about CSD the way a lot of people feel about systemd.

IMHO, CSD can be fine for simple stuff and programs that are very well laid out, probably by a dedicated design team; but programs with lots of advanced settings can become jumbled messes and compacting everything into the hamburger is damn annoying...might as well just hide the hamburger in a right click menu or a long press hidden menu if we're that worried about screen space.

CSD reminds me of using a car with a crappy menu system on the radio -- it adds extra steps and layers to make stuff seem more organized when all it really does is slows down one's workflow by adding all those extra clicks and steps to find stuff. At least that's my impression of CSD from a mouse user's perspective. It's also damn annoying when you go to drag a window around and you click the wrong part of the CSD header because an extra tab ate up grab space.

Personally, on displays over 13" with at least a 768 verticle resolution, CSD makes no sense whatsoever. Most of my QT programs can be configured to use less space with a minimal sized titlebar and the default File Edit header than GTK CSD programs use with everything combined. It's amazing how much space can be saved by tweaking KDE's default font sizes and KWin's title bar size.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          That sucks, I hope CSD can be disabled in about:config, [...]
          `browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar` or `MOZ_GTK_TITLEBAR_DECORATION` environment variable
          Last edited by johnp117; 29 January 2019, 02:38 PM. Reason: `widget.allow-client-side-decoration` has been replaced

Comment

Originally posted by johnp117 View Post
            `browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar` or `MOZ_GTK_TITLEBAR_DECORATION` environment variable
            The env var I understand, but browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar... I thought that setting only worked on Windows?

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
              FLIF offers slightly better compression, but it is much slower in both compressing and decompressing.
              Who cares, especially about compression being slower? For decompression, bandwidth tends to be the limiting factor by far.

I never heard of FLIF before, but sounds like a super format, thanks for the link.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                I guess it's time to dance on the grave of JPEG and PNG, and I'm glad the time has finally come, as I've been waiting for years for this to happen.
                Almost, but not quite yet. Wait until the next Firefox ESR release.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                  That's what everyone said about mp3 too, and that shit is still here and popular for no reason.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                    skeevy420 I disagree. Fedora and Ubuntu is a smooth sail. More consistent than ever as themes just work and headerbar designs are taking over.
                    I'm not saying it isn't consistent or bad looking, just that, for me at least, CSD/Gnome 3 gets in my way more than it doesn't. I don't like Gnome 3 from a usability stance, but it is one of the prettiest desktop around due to a lot of the things I dislike about it(outside of flat icons...I really dislike the flat icon trend everyone and their mother seeems to be following).

On mobile and smaller screens, CSD just works better. That's a given. If anyone disagrees, "simply" run a distro with Gnome 3 & KDE 5 (or XFCE) with a VNC on your phone. On desktops and gaming systems using HD resolutions on at least a 13" 4:3 screen, CSD makes no sense in regards to it's goal of saving screen real estate. All that stuff that makes it great on mobile makes it suck on a desktop (again, my opinion).

IMHO, GTK3/CSD should require all programs to have both the current CSD header bar as well as a desktop bar where half the header bar is the old style File Options Help and the other half mimics a traditional title bar that is 100% handled by Mutter (and to blend in with other desktop environments as a bonus)...or a method where Mutter can convert the hamburger to a header menu bar...just some method that gives us the best of both worlds.

(I wish I knew how to program so I wasn't just some asshole making a rant and could actually help implement my ideas or assist a project like gtk3-mushrooms).

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That sucks, I hope CSD can be disabled in about:config, CSS, or that the Menu>Customize>Title Bar option is still present.
                      According to OMG! Ubuntu, it is still present in the graphical customize options, so all will be fine. Not a fan though. Their catering to Gnome chimeras is annoying for propably the majority of actual users who do use other desktops than Gnome/Unity (I though there was a stat or survey sometime in the last five years…).

Comment

Working...
                      X