LXQt 0.14 Brings File Manager Additions, Desktop Icon Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LXQt 0.14 Brings File Manager Additions, Desktop Icon Improvements

Phoronix: LXQt 0.14 Brings File Manager Additions, Desktop Icon Improvements

The LXQt team has announced version 0.14.0 of their lightweight Qt5-powered Linux desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As an LXQt user who had already somewhat lost hope, I am glad to see that this release is more exciting than the previous ones. I commend the goal of getting to 1.0, I hope it will also give the project more spotlight and traction.

LXQt fills the gap between a "bloated" desktop environment like KDE Plasma (which I love, but doesn't work well together with my window manager), and the "puzzle everything together yourself" minimalist desktop. I love LXQt because it does all the mundane stuff for me comfortably (like a proper panel, screen/keyboard configuration, launchers etc.), at the same leaving enough freedom for customization and staying just lightweight enough.

I say "fills the gap" because I don't see a big future in XFCE (last stable release also four years ago) and LXQt is supposed successor to LXDE. I also like that it is Qt-based. GTK3 is an abdomination, the visuals always break and it comes with serious usability issues.

Comment

Being Qt5 and having a replaceable WM would LXQt be fully wayland compatible if I used something like sway with it?

Comment

Nice to see that LXQT is making progress even it is slow . Sadly, still no progress on the wayland front as far as I can tell. Having some fixes for smb and mounts could be nice. Gona try it once it hits the arch repos.

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
          Being Qt5 and having a replaceable WM would LXQt be fully wayland compatible if I used something like sway with it?
          As far as I know, unfortunately not. They are apparently using some X specific code.
          See https://github.com/lxqt/lxqt/issues/10 for more information.

Comment

I wonder if this update will fix the issues I'm getting where pcmanfm-qt seems to no longer show icons for anything where the path isn't explicitly stated.

Comment

Originally posted by ypnos View Post
              As an LXQt user who had already somewhat lost hope, I am glad to see that this release is more exciting than the previous ones. I commend the goal of getting to 1.0, I hope it will also give the project more spotlight and traction.

LXQt fills the gap between a "bloated" desktop environment like KDE Plasma (which I love, but doesn't work well together with my window manager), and the "puzzle everything together yourself" minimalist desktop. I love LXQt because it does all the mundane stuff for me comfortably (like a proper panel, screen/keyboard configuration, launchers etc.), at the same leaving enough freedom for customization and staying just lightweight enough.

I say "fills the gap" because I don't see a big future in XFCE (last stable release also four years ago) and LXQt is supposed successor to LXDE. I also like that it is Qt-based. GTK3 is an abdomination, the visuals always break and it comes with serious usability issues.
              Personally LXQt seems very good project and see as potential xfce succesor too, i think seriously change to LXQt for next ubuntu lts

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
                I don't know what you mean by being fully wayland compatible, but liblxqt seems to avoid direct inclusion of X11 header files, with one exception in lxqtscreensaver.cpp.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                  The Xfce desktop is the default far more often than LXQT in distributions, see https://distrowatch.com/search.php?desktop=Xfce#simple
                  First Xfce release 1996
                  First LXQt release 2014.

Also Xfce has no update since very long time.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

QT applications break in Debian Sid often, they are not up to date with updated qt libraries. Xfce 4.13 is in Debian experimental. No visual breaks or usability issues. There is no Whisker menu in LXQT. The Xfce desktop is stable, light, fast, freely configurable and a live, see:

Xfce Blog – The little mouse told me…

The Xfce desktop is the default far more often than LXQT in distributions, see https://distrowatch.com/search.php?desktop=Xfce#simple
                    LOL, every time...

Although aside from the marketing: I do semi-agree with you this time around. I do not like Xfce and I didn't find it as stable and in some places weird and glitchy, but at least it's much, much better than LxQt.

Comment

Working...
                    X