Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.32 Gets Fixed Up For Buggy Zoom Mode

Phoronix: GNOME 3.32 Gets Fixed Up For Buggy Zoom Mode

In addition to Canonical's Daniel van Vugt having been tackling various performance issues with the GNOME desktop, the Ubuntu developer has also been working on addressing various usability issues and other glaring problems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope they would go ahead and merge more of his merge requests. He clearly knows his stuff about wm's etc and GNOME/Mutter really needs work in that area.

Comment

problem with Gnome it's dying IMO, it is in need of a Facelift real bad

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
        problem with Gnome it's dying IMO, it is in need of a Facelift real bad
        Canonical is pouring additional engineering resources into GNOME Shell and GTK4 development is ticking along. How does that support your assertion?

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not necessarily a huge fan of GNOME Shell -- in fact, I'd pick Budgie over GNOME Shell any day of the week. But there's more to GNOME than just GNOME Shell.

FWIW, I've been living with the the Solus KDE Plasma experience for a few weeks and I have to say that it's *very* polished. I'd even put it above Solus Budgie in many respects (and I consider myself a Solus Budgie fan). The KDE Plasma Desktop 5 has come a long way since its inception it would seem.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post

Canonical is pouring additional engineering resources into GNOME Shell and GTK4 development is ticking along. How does that support your assertion?

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not necessarily a huge fan of GNOME Shell -- in fact, I'd pick Budgie over GNOME Shell any day of the week. But there's more to GNOME than just GNOME Shell.

FWIW, I've been living with the the Solus KDE Plasma experience for a few weeks and I have to say that it's *very* polished. I'd even put it above Solus Budgie in many respects (and I consider myself a Solus Budgie fan). The KDE Plasma Desktop 5 has come a long way since its inception it would seem.
          might Add i aint used Linux since F27 ( Gnome ) but by then it was getting old for me an it still is IMO untill i see something New , perhaps Gnome4 or Gnome3.34 will get me back i dunno but even XFCE4.14 is looking good. ill wait til at least F31 an may make a comeback. i only read stuff about GTK4 DEvelopment on Planet Gnome

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            Neto from Endless also did important fixes today. You can definitely fell the difference! https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome...e_requests/364
            > but it is very noticeable that this MR makes loading icon grid instantaneous,

YESSSS I love GNOME but this always bugged me a bit.

Comment

I know the article is a month late but I would like to chime in. I'm very happy the zoom is fixed where the shell dialogs are clipping in 3.30 and are gone in 3.32.

Now the only two things left is getting zoom to support Firefox and not focus in the terminal when doing other things such as browsing the web. For Firefox, input tracking is erratic depending in the position of the insertion point in a text box.

For Firefox, I blindly type at the end of the text box as the zoom feature supports input tracking; the zoom window should focus in the insertion point but as I type, the zoom window stays at the top-left corner of the screen. Unless, however, I move around the text box using the arrow keys and what's odd is the input tracking works while in the middle of the text box. What didn't work is the zoom window does not focus in the insertion point when typing at the end of the comment.

If I move my insertion point to the end of the text/comment, the zoom window jumps to the top left. Press the left arrow key once and the zoom window focuses in the insertion point. Press right arrow key again to get to the end of the text box and the zoom window will jump to the top left of the desktop. Left arrow key, works normally. Right, top left.

I'm not sure if that's a bug with Firefox or Mutter. One solution is to insert the character (such as a period) at the end of the text box and move the insertion point before that character. When done, remove whatever character you have there.

Epiphany does support zoom better; however, I don't use it as my primary web browser as I like to watch TV in Philo.com and that requires a chromium DRM component and I once get a message that Bank of America does not support Epiphany unless I use Chrome or Firefox.

I must say, the zoom feature in GNOME is great for those who have a visual impairment and is way ahead of the curve despite not being fully usable for the time being. Elementary OS is limited in zooming as I can't zoom in any further than say 3x, as I'll need about 8x+ when using my laptop. For XFCE, the zoom works with no input tracking and the mouse pointer does not scale and that's a problem for the visually impaired such as myself. For KDE, the mouse pointer does scale for zooming depending in the compositing settings but no input tracking.

Should I report the two bugs as two separate issues or can I report as one issue? The bug dealing with the virtual terminal isn't much to talk about as it's just the zoom window focusing in the terminal even though I'm using different programs such as Firefox.
              Last edited by GraysonPeddie; 22 February 2019, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X