• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomme View Post

why not?
    I have 2 hands for that. Works fine except when I am typing. But when I type I usually do not manage windows.
    Because your other hand may be busy doing something. Good UI design makes it so the most common tasks can be efficiently accomplished entirely using one input device or the other.

Leave a comment:

• Danielsan
    replied
    Sometimes someone at Gnome admits to make mistakes...

Gnome current icons are gorgeous but are outdated and you need to have a great illustration skills if you want to replicate that style. Jakub Steiner is my personal idol but he learned the lesson and he is doing a great job with the new icon set!
    Last edited by Danielsan; 23 January 2019, 03:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• arokh
    replied
    GNOME is already the best Linux desktop and just keeps getting better. People claiming plasma/xfce/whatever to be better are delusional.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomme
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Yes, use both the keyboard AND the mouse to get the job done. That's how it's done! /sarcasm
    why not?
    I have 2 hands for that. Works fine except when I am typing. But when I type I usually do not manage windows.
    Last edited by tomtomme; 23 January 2019, 11:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• juno
    replied
    Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
    It would be nice if they used more SVG icons, lower disk and memory usage that way. If rendering those icons can be offloaded to the GPU, even better.
    Vector graphics are useful when it comes to really large images. Not so much when using icons with tiny details. There are often details with a 1px width. Using a vector graphic that is just scaled for all sizes will make it look blurry while the artist can actively tweak the image if shipping raster icons in multiple sizes.
    I don't know if there is a limitation in SVG (because opposed to that it works very well with fonts) or many SVG icons are created suboptimally.
    Neither do I think svg saves much disk space compared to png for little icons.
    Last edited by juno; 23 January 2019, 11:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by sabian2008 View Post

OR, you can just hit SUPER and click on your application of choice. Whatever floats your boat.
    Yes, use both the keyboard AND the mouse to get the job done. That's how it's done! /sarcasm

Leave a comment:

• sabian2008
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Yeah...I don't like using keyboard shortcuts or using full screen application launchers in general. It just gets on my nerves because sometimes I'll do shortcuts in the wrong order or I'll remember the key in the wrong spot and do the wrong shortcut...a personal problem due to dyslexia, thinking too fast, and a sore wrist... I simply don't care for the look of full screen launchers and the disruption using them brings to my workflow really annoys me a lot more than it should. On a technical side, once I have a lot of programs installed, having them sorted in a start menu by category makes it easier for me to find stuff...just less text on the screen to process.

I know I can setup Gnome to work in a manner that I like, but it takes a lot of tweaking and it does involve needing external plugins. I don't like relying on external plugins since that means I'm now relying on a random 3rd party for my desktop to work right as well as having to wait for the plugin to be updated before I can update the desktop. I have the same issue with internet browsers and plugins...damn you Firefox, I really miss DownThemAll... If Gnome were to take the most popular plugins and make them standard features, I could make Gnome work.

With XFCE and KDE (and others), everything that I need to configure the desktop in a manner that suites me comes from the actual project. That means a lot to me. It takes a lot of the worry out of updating my system. The last time I used Gnome it was 3.18. 3.20 came out and I had to wait a month for all the plugins I was using to be updated and had to just deal with it in the meantime.

But more important than plugins, it's less painful and a lot faster using a mouse than it is to slow down to ensure my hand is positioned right and that I'm entering the right keys. It hurts to keep my left hand on the keyboard for an extended time due to 16 years of construction work being hard on my wrists so I tend to keep my shortcut hand, left hand, on my lap and I have my basic cut, copy, select all, switch windows, etc shortcuts programmed into my mouse. Gnome doesn't work well without plugins for a primarily mouse based desktop, IMHO.

A lot of times all I use is just a mouse...granted my mouse has 14 hotkeys, a mode shift to double that, and profiles to extend that...Logitech g600...it's awesome...

I'm well aware that the issues I have aren't issues that most people have. Most people aren't dyslexic or dealing with a sore wrist by keeping their hand off the keyboard unless they need to type. For me, it's straight-up double trouble when it comes to keyboard heavy environments.
    Sorry to hear that man. Your first comment sounded a bit toxic, hence the tone of my reply. Of course that everyone is free to use the DE of their liking, that wasn't the purpose of my post, but just to highlight that what's broken for you it's a feature for me. I, on the other side, very much prefer to type (à la vim) and the SUPER strategy is very useful for selecting apps and opening new ones (3 letters + return), although I generally switch with Alt+Tab (using the Alternate Alt+Tab extension - comes with Gnome- and limiting the cycle to current workspace). The only non-official extension that I need (I have 3 or 4 extensions that added that I don't really use much) is Hide Top Bar to recover that little bit of real state.

BTW, accessibility options suck across all DEs. I know a couple of blind people that would love to use Linux but won't because of that.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    To be somewhat on topic...

Those icons really don't look that bad, I just wish they were more uniform in size. Some are square, some are vertical rectangles, some are horizontal rectangles...they just don't look very consistent.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I use GNOME, prefer it over other DEs, have no issues with it, and have no problems with the icon overhaul so far.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by sabian2008 View Post

OR, you can just hit SUPER and click on your application of choice. Whatever floats your boat.
    Yeah...I don't like using keyboard shortcuts or using full screen application launchers in general. It just gets on my nerves because sometimes I'll do shortcuts in the wrong order or I'll remember the key in the wrong spot and do the wrong shortcut...a personal problem due to dyslexia, thinking too fast, and a sore wrist... I simply don't care for the look of full screen launchers and the disruption using them brings to my workflow really annoys me a lot more than it should. On a technical side, once I have a lot of programs installed, having them sorted in a start menu by category makes it easier for me to find stuff...just less text on the screen to process.

I know I can setup Gnome to work in a manner that I like, but it takes a lot of tweaking and it does involve needing external plugins. I don't like relying on external plugins since that means I'm now relying on a random 3rd party for my desktop to work right as well as having to wait for the plugin to be updated before I can update the desktop. I have the same issue with internet browsers and plugins...damn you Firefox, I really miss DownThemAll... If Gnome were to take the most popular plugins and make them standard features, I could make Gnome work.

With XFCE and KDE (and others), everything that I need to configure the desktop in a manner that suites me comes from the actual project. That means a lot to me. It takes a lot of the worry out of updating my system. The last time I used Gnome it was 3.18. 3.20 came out and I had to wait a month for all the plugins I was using to be updated and had to just deal with it in the meantime.

But more important than plugins, it's less painful and a lot faster using a mouse than it is to slow down to ensure my hand is positioned right and that I'm entering the right keys. It hurts to keep my left hand on the keyboard for an extended time due to 16 years of construction work being hard on my wrists so I tend to keep my shortcut hand, left hand, on my lap and I have my basic cut, copy, select all, switch windows, etc shortcuts programmed into my mouse. Gnome doesn't work well without plugins for a primarily mouse based desktop, IMHO.

A lot of times all I use is just a mouse...granted my mouse has 14 hotkeys, a mode shift to double that, and profiles to extend that...Logitech g600...it's awesome...

I'm well aware that the issues I have aren't issues that most people have. Most people aren't dyslexic or dealing with a sore wrist by keeping their hand off the keyboard unless they need to type. For me, it's straight-up double trouble when it comes to keyboard heavy environments.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X