GNOME Is Making Great Progress On Overhauling Their App Icons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arokh View Post

Sure, people have different preferences. Most people like GNOME which is why the largest distributions have chosen it. Your opinion is in the 0,5% that doesn't like GNOME, congratulations.
    Yeah, just like most companies have chosen Office 365 because most employees like it... oh wait, they don't like it and it has been forced down their throats!!! So no, your statement is invalid until proven otherwise (i.e. by a poll on a popular Linux website "What is your favorite DE?").

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
      Why hasn't someone forked Gnome 3 and included all the extensions that make sense by default yet?
      Zorin is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Felipe View Post
        Each time better and polished, as ever. Don't know how people can use KDE, XFCE or any other unpolished alternative. Budgie is also nice.
        While I agree that KDE needs a bit of work here and there (and I'm saying this as a KDE user!), I wouldn't go as far as to call it "unpolished". A few things need work, but it's polished overall. You're right about Xfce, though.

Comment

Honestly instead of GNOME vs KDE I wish we were a little more like KDE vs WINDOWS or KDE vs MAC, GNOME vs Windows, GNOME vs Mac, etc...

If people weren't happy about Gnome's internal management it's a wonder Gnome 3 hasn't been forked to correct mis-steps.

Meanwhile in FOSS, we have names like GIMP and the Kool Desktop Environment (KDE).

Honestly there is a lot of room for improvement for each project.

If we could get some basics right like 100% SVG icons instead of specific size variant PNGs, separation of core app functionality so UX can be HTML 5 (Online), Qt (Local), or GTK3 (Local) I would be really happy.

Also, could we fucking PLEASE have some level of separation between our applications and the desktop environments. It's no wonder people say FUCK THIS and use i3, or openbox with tint2, lemonbar/polybar, AWN, Plank, Slingshot, etc... because the "Panel" is a separate component of the desktop that can be severable and re-purposed.

The whole: take it or leave it situation is a clusterfuck. For example, I use Dolphin on Gnome, it renders thumbnails faster and gets out of my way even though it doesn't match the other apps it performs its functions above adequately and to my expectations.

Comment

Honestly instead of GNOME vs KDE I wish we were a little more like KDE vs WINDOWS or KDE vs MAC, GNOME vs Windows, GNOME vs Mac, etc...

If people weren't happy about Gnome's internal management it's a wonder Gnome 3 hasn't been forked to correct mis-steps.
            It was: MATE (GNOME 2) and Cinnamon (GNOME 3).

Meanwhile in FOSS, we have names like GIMP and the Kool Desktop Environment (KDE).
            It's not been "Kool" since not long after announcement, from my quick research.

If we could get some basics right like 100% SVG icons instead of specific size variant PNGs, separation of core app functionality so UX can be HTML 5 (Online), Qt (Local), or GTK3 (Local) I would be really happy.
            No HTML5, please, did we learn nothing from Windows 98's Active Desktop, Electron's bloat, and GNOME 3's lobotomized and single-threaded design?

Also, could we fucking PLEASE have some level of separation between our applications and the desktop environments. It's no wonder people say FUCK THIS and use i3, or openbox with tint2, lemonbar/polybar, AWN, Plank, Slingshot, etc... because the "Panel" is a separate component of the desktop that can be severable and re-purposed.

The whole: take it or leave it situation is a clusterfuck. For example, I use Dolphin on Gnome, it renders thumbnails faster and gets out of my way even though it doesn't match the other apps it performs its functions above adequately and to my expectations.
            Lumina and LXQt might be right up your alley! The former was created to not be tightly coupled to any particular tech (*cough* SystemD, Pulseaudio, etc *cough*) and thus great for the *BSDs AND Linux. The latter is made of separate apps.
            Last edited by mulenmar; 25 January 2019, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mulenmar View Post
              No HTML5, please, did we learn nothing from Windows 98's Active Desktop, Electron's bloat, and GNOME 3's lobotomized and single-threaded design?
              I read that as more in the vein of a plea for more applications to have a clean split between the frontend and backend code so that, if you want to make a web UI, you could just apt-get the backend for an existing app and build a new frontend on top of it.

Comment

It's also about modernizing the icons so they more akin to the likes of other platforms where they are more simple and flat these days rather than being very detailed as was popular in the past.
                Sigh…

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

You can set Present Windows in any corner you like in Plasma.
                  I know. I set it to the bottom right-hand corner on my box, bottom left opens the start menu, top left opens the activity manager.

My point was that I'd hate it if Present Windows, regardless of the hot corner, was the only way to switch programs (like it is on Gnome w/o a plugin).

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I know. I set it to the bottom right-hand corner on my box, bottom left opens the start menu, top left opens the activity manager.

My point was that I'd hate it if Present Windows, regardless of the hot corner, was the only way to switch programs (like it is on Gnome w/o a plugin).
                    Ah, I understand what you mean now

Comment

Working...
                    X