GNOME Is Making Great Progress On Overhauling Their App Icons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arokh View Post
    Sure, people have different preferences. Most people like GNOME which is why the largest distributions have chosen it.
    All the big distributions push GNOME yet it's not the most used GNU/Linux desktop. This should tell you something; GNU/Linux users are people who got Windows with their computer & decided to change that. People using KDE/XFCE/other alternatives got GNOME with their GNU/Linux distribution and realized that some silly tablet OS isn't suitable for a desktop so they switched.

If GNOME works for you then that's great. I personally can't stand it and I can't stand GNOME developers either. Going around to projects like Transmission and demanding that they remove support for features like a tray icon because "it's not the GNOME way" shows arrogance and stupidity beyond belief.

Comment

"It's also about modernizing the icons so they more akin to the likes of other platforms where they are more simple and flat these days rather than being very detailed as was popular in the past."

Comment

Why hasn't someone forked Gnome 3 and included all the extensions that make sense by default yet?

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
          Why hasn't someone forked Gnome 3 and included all the extensions that make sense by default yet?
          Cinnamon, budgie etc are actually gnome 3 forks with nice workflow. Both of them are better than vanilla gnome.
          Last edited by deant; 24 January 2019, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by arokh View Post

Sure, people have different preferences. Most people like GNOME which is why the largest distributions have chosen it. Your opinion is in the 0,5% that doesn't like GNOME, congratulations.
            Do you have any numbers to backup your claims? I bet KDE and Cinnamon have much higher market share. I doubt most of the Linux users use Gnome which has serious performance problems and uses a lot of RAM. Its design choices are also quite 'original'. When comes to Gnome it was always politics and it seems it's still the case. However, we have a choice, because it's Open Source world.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
              Because gnome-shell is a very poorly designed single threaded javascript infested bloatware with horrendous latency large memory footprint and half assed broken non-standardized theme CSS with API breakages every release. There's no point of forking, instead it needs to be redesigned and reengineered by competent developer who is aware of basic DE/WM concepts that it should be modularized, run as high priority process, with very low latency even under background load, should have low overhead and be written in C/C++, research what Solus's Budgie WM did. Stinky GNOME foot and poo brown icons should have gone away ages ago, people calling it beautiful is beyond my comprehension,

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
                Because gnome-shell is a very poorly designed single threaded javascript infested bloatware with horrendous latency large memory footprint and half assed broken non-standardized theme CSS with API breakages every release. There's no point of forking, instead it needs to be redesigned and reengineered by competent developer who is aware of basic DE/WM concepts that it should be modularized, run as high priority process, with very low latency even under background load, should have low overhead and be written in C/C++, research what Solus's Budgie WM did. Stinky GNOME foot and poo brown icons should have gone away ages ago, people calling it beautiful is beyond my comprehension,
                Except that Gnome is neither single-threaded nor did it ever have a theme API to break.

But I do think that it needs a rewrite or major changes, parts of it should be re-written using GTK as a separate process (e.g. gnome-panel). It's completely bonkers using it for Wayland right now due to lack of session recovery.

Comment

Each time better and polished, as ever. Don't know how people can use KDE, XFCE or any other unpolished alternative. Budgie is also nice.

Comment

People who think GNOME 3 is ugly should go look at Afterstep.

I'm just waiting for Xfce 4.14 and a GTK3 theme "engine" there, at this point.

Part of KDE Plasma -- the panels, I think? -- have heavy graphical corruption in the last version of VirtualBox I tested it in, GNOME is awkward, I got tired of wiring together an Openbox desktop, and I haven't looked into LXQt, Enlightenment, Cinnamon, Lumina, or FVWM-Crystal lately. Or Budgie, ever. So that leaves my old friend, Xfce.

MATE seemed utterly identical to Cinnamon and its parent GNOME 2, last I compared them, and seems to occupy the same space as Xfce, "stealing" ("co-opting", or whatever) devs who might otherwise contribute to the pre-existing system.

On that note: We have faaaaar too many options, folks. There isn't even the excuse of scratching an itch anymore -- several of these options are virtually identical in surface functionality, purpose, or even the low-level technologies. We DO NOT need another new environment, I don't care how much of a hotshot programmer you are or what your "special case" is -- there's already several somethings in your niche.

Contribute patches for more flexibility or well-designed features in an existing one, with test coverage and documentation. Go make a proper, industrial-quality CAD program or something, we have maybe ONE of those. Or patch Easytag to have a dialog for custom tags. Port the timezone and format validator code for xfce-panel's default Clock back to the 4.12 branch and get it in Debian 9 as a fix for that longstanding bug. Go somehow pull Mozilla's PR's head out of their behinds, so they stop pushing ads ("rewards" you have to pay for) on us and telling us it's raining.

Just stop clogging the repos with Yet Another C/C++ Thing To Test, Package, Build, and Debug. Or worse, more single-thread Python!

And if it's just too much fun to build something new and slap it on your resumé: develop some discipline and show you can work in an existing team, instead.

The bazaar has reached, and exceeded, Choice Paralysis levels. Now nobody is able to buy critically.

/rant
                    Last edited by mulenmar; 24 January 2019, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Honestly I liked the old icons better; they were a spiritual successor of the spectacular Windows 98 icons. Come to think of it, I wish GNOME were just more like Windows 98, and less like a web browser; maybe then they wouldn't need so much acceleration to get reasonable performance.

Comment

Working...
                      X