Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Gets Snappier Video Playback With Chromium Snap For VA-API Acceleration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ubuntu Gets Snappier Video Playback With Chromium Snap For VA-API Acceleration

    Phoronix: Ubuntu Gets Snappier Video Playback With Chromium Snap For VA-API Acceleration

    For Ubuntu users running the Chromium web browser and wanting to enjoy better video acceleration with Gallium3D or Intel hardware, there is now a Chromium Snap for testing that features VA-API video acceleration support for GPU-based decoding...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...hromium-VA-API

  • #2
    Been using the VA-API Accelerated version of Chromium for a while (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/chromium-vaapi-bin/). Totally worth it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by MihaiBojescu View Post
      Been using the VA-API Accelerated version of Chromium for a while (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/chromium-vaapi-bin/). Totally worth it.
      https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/chromium-vaapi-bin/ is out-dated. Unfortunately, Archlinux has no plan to support it either. https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/61299

      Comment


      • #4
        Yeah, seems to have been available on void linux too.
        https://github.com/void-linux/void-packages/pull/5219

        Comment


        • #5
          Michael there is VP9 HW decoding on some of iGPUs already supported and h264ify isn't needed for them. For example: Ryzen R5 2500U in my wife' laptop have VP9 VA-API support, also Intel I7-8550U in my laptop have VP9 support too.
          For Nvidia GPUs there is bug-fixed VA-VDPAU driver that works with Chromium: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/l...iver-chromium/

          Comment


          • #6
            Seems to be enabled in OpenSUSE too https://www.tenable.com/plugins/nessus/118386

            apparently not in Tumbleweed? https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/643766
            Last edited by starshipeleven; 01-22-2019, 04:43 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Note that the VA-API stuff in Chromium has a number of interesting (and critical) misbehaviours with the mesa VA-API on AMD (and it seems it's mostly the fault of the VA-API impl, and not Chromium).

              Comment


              • #8
                Wow. I wasn't expected them to use my patch. Anyways, I see lot of Ubuntu users who have AMD GPU complaining of Predator style video output on vaapi enabled chromium. That's because only Fedora has patched(disabled) the rgb10 configs in version Mesa 18.x. If anyone is facing this, please set allow_rgb10_configs=false as your environmental variable.
                Also Michael, Can you please add this info in your article if possible? Thanks.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by microcode View Post
                  Note that the VA-API stuff in Chromium has a number of interesting (and critical) misbehaviours with the mesa VA-API on AMD (and it seems it's mostly the fault of the VA-API impl, and not Chromium).
                  This is what Google said?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post
                    Michael there is VP9 HW decoding on some of iGPUs already supported and h264ify isn't needed for them. For example: Ryzen R5 2500U in my wife' laptop have VP9 VA-API support, also Intel I7-8550U in my laptop have VP9 support too.
                    The article unfortunately is a bit vague here, but I suppose Michael meant that VAAPI VP9 is not supported by that Chromium patch.
                    Probably because hardware decoding is simply a mess on Linux, apart from ffmpeg + mpv.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X