No announcement yet.

Qt 5.13 Might Add QTelemetry For Opt-In Anonymous Data Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. So from now on almost all Qt apps have to be considered backdoored by default. Sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
      In my work, privacy is so important nothing can be allowed to auto-connect and send out data.
      That's what prompted me to go for rather custom setup, thwarting all this data prostitution on the very fundamental level. Whatever, destination of reports would immediately turn into valuable target attracting all sorts of powerful attackers. Looking on recent leak updates featuring BILLIONS of accounts I would bet it wouldn't take too long before this flag is also captured - at which point data wouldn't be very anonymous anymore. After all, at least server sees the remote address and maybe more than just that, like e.g. system configuration, particular user habits and so on - actually a very delicate and personally identifying data set. That is formally not a personally identifying but in reality could help identification a lot. Look, the way you click mouse could be kinda unique to just you. Paranoia or not, this folly is going too far.
      Last edited by SystemCrasher; 17 January 2019, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Given how many modules Qt is normally split into, I'd hate to have to package them all for my Debian setup (or have to write a huge provides line in DEBIAN/control) if I have to build Qt myself to disable this. They say it will be opt-in for now but it will be a danger, and it will be crucially important that app developers can't make that choice for users or switch it over to a dangerous on by default, opt-out like all the privacy busting Google Play SHIT in Android or Windows 10.

Comment

It's extremely unlikely this will make 5.13.

Comment

Cue the panic and FUD.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael

It's called Qt, not QT.
              Yeah, and also: Kdenlive is not a pure Qt app as it uses KDE technology.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

Telemetry can be used for the good.

A graphics driver update that was recently distributed is causing slowness with webex users and the issue was picked up by an AI instance crunching the telemetry logs.

Its not all nefarious and evil at work.
                Yes, but Telemetry can be used for the bad too.
                And choosing to protect myself from the good or bad, I choose to protect from the bad.
                For me information is POWER. The more information someone has about me, the less power I have. And not only less power, but also less security.
                I think this telemetry will be used for more bad things than good things, even though it might have been invented for good things.
                In my opinion, the best thing would be to install telemetry as completely separate module, so it's not buit-in.

Comment

They're turning the frogs gay!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    In my opinion, the best thing would be to install telemetry as completely separate module, so it's not buit-in.
                    That's exactly what this thing is. A SEPARATE LIBRARY called QtTelemetry that applications use for telemetry.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      That's exactly what this thing is. A SEPARATE LIBRARY called QtTelemetry that applications use for telemetry.
                      It may be, but what I meant is the fact that I want to have the decision to install it or not, not the developer of a Qt program that I use.
                      Having this library at directly at Qt level and being as easy to use with just one line like "use QtTelemetry" or "QtTelemetry=On", I'm pretty sure it will lead to allow of developers or packages to turn this on without my knowledge.
                      Besides, all Linux distros that I have tested seem to suck big time when it comes to security and informing the user compared to Android for example.
                      There is no permission asking box on program installation or first run on any distro.
                      Also, there is no application firewall, where I can see and control which programs are allowed to use the internet connection.
                      So, once the developer decides to put and use this QtTelemetry (which I call spyware), there would be no way to be informed that that Qt pgrogram has it inside and is using it to track my actions and upload to some server.

I meant that I want something like that to be like a program that I can install and uninstall myself whenever I want, so I'm in complete control over it and fully aware.
                      I hope I was more clear this time.

Comment

Working...
                      X