X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danny3
    replied
    Originally posted by mzs.112000 View Post

I agree about scaling and HiDPI displays, but I don't think AppImage's should be made executable automatically, that's a big security risk....
    I don't know what security risk are you talking about.
    When I double-click on a .appimage program it's clear that I want to open it.
    Why should I waste more time with another round of clicks to make it executable and they open it again?

Leave a comment:

• holunder
    replied
    About Fractional Scaling:
    It works if you manually set another font dpi, which scales the UI as well. Then you’ll need to change the icon sizes too. It’s not optimal, but it *really* works. (Tested only under X.org but this is another approach than the scale option in the monitor settings.)
    https://www.frumble.de/blog/2017/03/...um-2017/#HiDPI
    Last edited by holunder; 17 January 2019, 11:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Baguy
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post

I thought Wayland isn't limited to desktop use cases or any particular monitor sizes.
    Unfortunately, the scaling is still a issue. Look at gnome with their experimental fractional scaling on wayland... while it works, it has alot of app scaling and icon pixelation problems.

Leave a comment:

• fuzz
    replied
    Originally posted by ypnos View Post

Yes, both Qt and KDE support fractional scaling for quite a while and it works as expected. At least when using Xorg.

This is different to GNOME, where fractional scaling is being worked on but missed to be included in the latest release.
    And KDE's fractional scaling on Xorg applies to all displays, so if you combine a 2160p monitor and a 1080p monitor it will scale both.

Leave a comment:

• ypnos
    replied
    Originally posted by marccollin View Post
    somebody know if fractional scaling is available for hidpi screen?
    Yes, both Qt and KDE support fractional scaling for quite a while and it works as expected. At least when using Xorg.

This is different to GNOME, where fractional scaling is being worked on but missed to be included in the latest release.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by Baguy View Post

If you can consider ant sized user interfaces a issue. Monitors are getting wide and high density.
    I thought Wayland isn't limited to desktop use cases or any particular monitor sizes.

Leave a comment:

• Baguy
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Is there a bug that proposes to switch to double / float?
    If you can consider ant sized user interfaces a issue. Monitors are getting wide and high density.

Leave a comment:

• Baguy
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Can you please elaborate what convenience from the 90s you mean? I'm not a Wayland Dev and have no clue, but Wayland development started in 2008.
    Wayland was started as a side project by a single developer, and his main goal for the project was perfect frames. He probably designed it with integers for convenience or fractional scaling wasn't a big issue to him. (the 90s thing was just a general idea of how far back it goes, and by no means i meant every developer either.)

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    Originally posted by Baguy View Post

It's been done with integers for convenience on the behalf of developers. Problem is, convenience back in the 90s doesn't mean convenience later, and tends to lead to many issues, just like the Y2K bug (which to be fair, was originally due to space constrictions)
    Can you please elaborate what convenience from the 90s you mean? I'm not a wayland dev and have no clue, but wayland development started in 2008.

Leave a comment:

• Ananace
    replied
    - Plasma 5.15 on Wayland has received more protocol coverage, support for virtual desktops, touch drag-and-drop support, and other changes.
    Nice, at first I completely missed the fact that virtual desktops are finally supported, one of the very few remaining issues that's been bothersome for me when switching to Wayland.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X