Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marccollin View Post
    The wayland scale system is based around integers
    Instead of piling up workarounds on top of workarounds on a brand new display protocol, why didn't anybody think about damn fixing the protocol instead? It still needs to gain user adoption and it's already ancient and outdated? WTF!?
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

How is the redesign of System Settings coming along? There was a post last year or so about a completely new look for System Settings (including a CSD IIRC?), but I've heard nothing about it since.

Comment

I hoped to see some news about adding proper support for .Appimage programs like marking such a program executable automatically, if it's not, when you try to open it and also add an option, probably on right-click menu to install permanently and add shortcut to it to the start menu for it.
        Aso I hoped to see some news about Plasma keeping in sync the display resolution with the scaling factor.
        Every time I plug in my 4k monitor, Plasma switches automatically to its native resolution (4K - 3840 × 2160), but the scaling factor still remains at 1, instead of 2, and I have a hard time navigating to the control panel ans switching it manually since everything is so small and barely readable at the distance I'm keeping my 4K monitor.

In any case, congratulations to all KDE developers and thank you very much for another awesome release!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          I hoped to see some news about adding proper support for .Appimage programs like marking such a program executable automatically, if it's not, when you try to open it and also add an option, probably on right-click menu to install permanently and add shortcut to it to the start menu for it.
          Aso I hoped to see some news about Plasma keeping in sync the display resolution with the scaling factor.
          Every time I plug in my 4k monitor, Plasma switches automatically to its native resolution (4K - 3840 × 2160), but the scaling factor still remains at 1, instead of 2, and I have a hard time navigating to the control panel ans switching it manually since everything is so small and barely readable at the distance I'm keeping my 4K monitor.

In any case, congratulations to all KDE developers and thank you very much for another awesome release!

I agree about scaling and HiDPI displays, but I don't think AppImage's should be made executable automatically, that's a big security risk....

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            I was wondering why they used integers in the first place? It's obvious that only floats would do the job properly. Do they have problems scaling by non integers, wtf?
            It's been done with integers for convenience on the behalf of developers. Problem is, convenience back in the 90s doesn't mean convenience later, and tends to lead to many issues, just like the Y2K bug (which to be fair, was originally due to space constrictions)

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post

It's been done with integers for convenience on the behalf of developers. Problem is, convenience back in the 90s doesn't mean convenience later, and tends to lead to many issues, just like the Y2K bug (which to be fair, was originally due to space constrictions)
              Is there a bug that proposes to switch to double / float?

Comment

- Plasma 5.15 on Wayland has received more protocol coverage, support for virtual desktops, touch drag-and-drop support, and other changes.
                Nice, at first I completely missed the fact that virtual desktops are finally supported, one of the very few remaining issues that's been bothersome for me when switching to Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post

Can you please elaborate what convenience from the 90s you mean? I'm not a wayland dev and have no clue, but wayland development started in 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Can you please elaborate what convenience from the 90s you mean? I'm not a Wayland Dev and have no clue, but Wayland development started in 2008.
                    Wayland was started as a side project by a single developer, and his main goal for the project was perfect frames. He probably designed it with integers for convenience or fractional scaling wasn't a big issue to him. (the 90s thing was just a general idea of how far back it goes, and by no means i meant every developer either.)

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Is there a bug that proposes to switch to double / float?
                      If you can consider ant sized user interfaces a issue. Monitors are getting wide and high density.

Comment

Working...
                      X