Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.15 Beta Released With Some Grand Improvements

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.15 Beta Released With Some Grand Improvements

KDE Plasma 5.15 is scheduled for release on 12 February while for a round of preliminary testing, KDE Plasma 5.15 is out today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

- Plasma 5.15 on Wayland has received more protocol coverage, support for virtual desktops, touch drag-and-drop support, and other changes.

I wonder if that means that KMail won't flicker any more. It's little things like that that are keeping me on X11.

Comment

somebody know if fractional scaling is available for hidpi screen?

Comment

Originally posted by marccollin View Post
        somebody know if fractional scaling is available for hidpi screen?
        I second this. Can someone please answer ?

Also would better wayland support bring support for different DPIs on dual or more monitors ?

Comment

Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post
          Also would better wayland support bring support for different DPIs on dual or more monitors ?
          It's already supported in stable releases (Wayland only). The problem is that Plasma on Wayland is far from being stable and usable in my opinion.

By the way, do somebody know if the giant out of the box cursor in Wayland HiDPI displays has been fixed in 5.15 beta? If not I find it difficult to believe that they are serious about Wayland for 5.15. This bug is the first thing that every user will notice just a second after starting the session. I don't care if it can be adjusted in the settings, it must work right out of the box.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

It's already supported in stable releases (Wayland only). The problem is that Plasma on Wayland is far from being stable and usable in my opinion.

By the way, do somebody know if the giant out of the box cursor in Wayland HiDPI displays has been fixed in 5.15 beta? If not I find it difficult to believe that they are serious about Wayland for 5.15. This bug is the first thing that every user will notice just a second after starting the session. I don't care if it can be adjusted in the settings, it must work right out of the box.
            I'm really not convinced they're eating their own dog food with HIDPI - I've been testing wayland each time they do a major release and it still isn't ready

You shouldn't be able to tell if you've logged in via wayland or X11

I raised all the issues I saw, only one was taken seriously by another dev after Martin closed them all but none of them were resolved

Comment

Fractional Scaling

A requested feature is to allow fractional scaling for QHD monitors which are roughly 1.5 times the resolution of standard monitors, but not the full 4k.

The wayland scale system is based around integers, but because the scaling is based around a normalised co-ordinate system, the compositor can show a display at a scale of 1.5 whilst clients are rendering for a 2x display with no changes in the client.

Patchset consists of XdgOutput support in both kwin and Qt so that windows that position themselves (such as xwayland clients, or plasmashell) can know the correct logical size of the screen and then relevant changes in kwin/kscreen to implement the extra fractional part.

Unfortunately as this requires a change in Qt to function properly. this won’t be available in our UI until Plasma depends on the Qt version that contains this support, probably around March 2019. Stupid desktop Linux.

Comment

Native file dialogs in Firefox are rather broken:

Comment

Originally posted by marccollin View Post
                  Fractional Scaling

I was wondering why they used integers in the first place? It's obvious that only floats would do the job properly. Do they have problems scaling by non integers, wtf?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    - Plasma 5.15 on Wayland has received more protocol coverage, support for virtual desktops, touch drag-and-drop support, and other changes.

I wonder if that means that KMail won't flicker any more. It's little things like that that are keeping me on X11.
                    There was some recent progress on the flickering bug: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=387313

Comment

Working...
                    X