Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.15 Beta Released With Some Grand Improvements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • KDE Plasma 5.15 Beta Released With Some Grand Improvements

    Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.15 Beta Released With Some Grand Improvements

    KDE Plasma 5.15 is scheduled for release on 12 February while for a round of preliminary testing, KDE Plasma 5.15 is out today...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...asma-5.15-Beta

  • #2
    - Plasma 5.15 on Wayland has received more protocol coverage, support for virtual desktops, touch drag-and-drop support, and other changes.

    I wonder if that means that KMail won't flicker any more. It's little things like that that are keeping me on X11.

    Comment


    • #3
      somebody know if fractional scaling is available for hidpi screen?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by marccollin View Post
        somebody know if fractional scaling is available for hidpi screen?
        I second this. Can someone please answer ?

        Also would better wayland support bring support for different DPIs on dual or more monitors ?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post
          Also would better wayland support bring support for different DPIs on dual or more monitors ?
          It's already supported in stable releases (Wayland only). The problem is that Plasma on Wayland is far from being stable and usable in my opinion.

          By the way, do somebody know if the giant out of the box cursor in Wayland HiDPI displays has been fixed in 5.15 beta? If not I find it difficult to believe that they are serious about Wayland for 5.15. This bug is the first thing that every user will notice just a second after starting the session. I don't care if it can be adjusted in the settings, it must work right out of the box.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

            It's already supported in stable releases (Wayland only). The problem is that Plasma on Wayland is far from being stable and usable in my opinion.

            By the way, do somebody know if the giant out of the box cursor in Wayland HiDPI displays has been fixed in 5.15 beta? If not I find it difficult to believe that they are serious about Wayland for 5.15. This bug is the first thing that every user will notice just a second after starting the session. I don't care if it can be adjusted in the settings, it must work right out of the box.
            I'm really not convinced they're eating their own dog food with HIDPI - I've been testing wayland each time they do a major release and it still isn't ready

            You shouldn't be able to tell if you've logged in via wayland or X11

            I raised all the issues I saw, only one was taken seriously by another dev after Martin closed them all but none of them were resolved

            Comment


            • #7
              Fractional Scaling

              A requested feature is to allow fractional scaling for QHD monitors which are roughly 1.5 times the resolution of standard monitors, but not the full 4k.

              The wayland scale system is based around integers, but because the scaling is based around a normalised co-ordinate system, the compositor can show a display at a scale of 1.5 whilst clients are rendering for a 2x display with no changes in the client.



              Patchset consists of XdgOutput support in both kwin and Qt so that windows that position themselves (such as xwayland clients, or plasmashell) can know the correct logical size of the screen and then relevant changes in kwin/kscreen to implement the extra fractional part.

              Unfortunately as this requires a change in Qt to function properly. this won’t be available in our UI until Plasma depends on the Qt version that contains this support, probably around March 2019. Stupid desktop Linux.

              http://blog.davidedmundson.co.uk/blog/category/kde/

              Comment


              • #8
                Native file dialogs in Firefox are rather broken:

                https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=402206
                https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1516290

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by marccollin View Post
                  Fractional Scaling

                  I was wondering why they used integers in the first place? It's obvious that only floats would do the job properly. Do they have problems scaling by non integers, wtf?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    - Plasma 5.15 on Wayland has received more protocol coverage, support for virtual desktops, touch drag-and-drop support, and other changes.

                    I wonder if that means that KMail won't flicker any more. It's little things like that that are keeping me on X11.
                    There was some recent progress on the flickering bug: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=387313

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X