Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paupav View Post
    That approach is saving space even more than CSD
    csd has nothing to do with saving space, why do you comment on subjects you have no clue about?

Comment

Originally posted by buzzrobot View Post
      Canonical needed something to replace Gnome 2, rather quickly. At the time, Unity had its warts and bumps but was arguably a better choice than the initial release of Gnome 3.
      because canonical wasted precious manhours on producing warts and bumps in unity instead of improving gnome 3

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
        Canonical built on the existing and universally accepted Compiz, while Gnome decided to create something new.
        gnome improved their old metacity which is many years older than new compiz

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          If you're a Gnome/Mate/XFCE user then you'll run QT if you use VLC, SMPlayer, K3B, Krita, VirtualBox, and so many other programs it isn't funny.
          i'm gnome user and i use vlc. it looks like any other app. maybe because i'm not using broken distro like you?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            i'm gnome user and i use vlc. it looks like any other app. maybe because i'm not using broken distro like you?
            You missed the point completely. I'm not the one with the broken distro problems. I'm the one without them.

The point was that 144Hz doesn't want to mix UI toolkits for whatever reason, won't even look into programs that try to assist theme issues for that matter...so because VLC is QT based, it can't be used with Gnome.

Me, OTOH, uses whatever toolkit with whatever desktop and I deal with it if something looks out of place. Deal with it means a few minutes of effort in the settings menu, using Kvantum, QT5CT, etc, or I'll straight up ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              because canonical wasted precious manhours on producing warts and bumps in unity instead of improving gnome 3
              I agree about Unity. But they shouldn't waste their time with gnome 3.
              They should switch to MATE or KDE and spend precious manhours on them.
              And they made a bad decision trying to fix gnome 3 after Unity cancelation.
              It would be easier for them to switch to Plasma, it doesn't even need a fix.
              Unity 8 would be a QT based DE anyway.
              Last edited by olympus; 01-15-2019, 10:57 PM.

Comment

It would be easier for them to switch to Plasma, it doesn't even need a fix.
                Except for everything enterprise related. There is no working PIM on KDE, there is no working SMB on KDE (go ahead, try to stream over SMB in KDE). On top of that is Qt still frustrating to use on Linux because nobody supports it.

Now gnome, which is a Linux enterprise desktop, is supported be everyone who supports Linux, has IBM/RedHat as developer and a massive user base. + You can simply recreate unity with extensions. Gnome is far from perfect, but the better platform to start from.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
                  Except for everything enterprise related. There is no working PIM on KDE, there is no working SMB on KDE (go ahead, try to stream over SMB in KDE). On top of that is Qt still frustrating to use on Linux because nobody supports it.

Now gnome, which is a Linux enterprise desktop, is supported be everyone who supports Linux, has IBM/RedHat as developer and a massive user base. + You can simply recreate unity with extensions. Gnome is far from perfect, but the better platform to start from.
                  You are right, Gnome has become a project by a corporation, now by IBM. KDE is a community project.
                  This is what Canonical should do, work on making KDE a valid solution for enterprise too.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    The point was that 144Hz doesn't want to mix UI toolkits for whatever reason
                    for very clear reason of using broken distro

Comment

Just my 2p. After all these years, Gnome is still inferior to Unity in many areas including usability, performance and stability. Unity became the standard Linux desktop for many years for most people, and many of us still use it.

Comment

Working...
                      X