Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lightworks Video Editor Plans For A Busy 2019 But No Signs Of The Open-Source Version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

I will ask him next time. Just wondering what constitutes "Hollywood graded" features now days? There are so many tools in use in various post shops, just about all of them claim "Hollywood" feature sets.
    By that I just mean that it's so powerful, it could be used for producing A++ Hollywood movies. In fact, Cinelerra has occasionally been used in Hollywood in the past.

Judging by his initial response and since his time is money, I would say he gravitates towards products that have a paid support network behind them.
    But Cinelerra also has paid support? There are two versions: a community version and a paid version. Both have the exact same amount features and are open source, but the paid one, obviously, has paid support.
    Last edited by Vistaus; 12 January 2019, 02:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• edwaleni
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Why DaVinci instead of Cinelerra, which is way more advanced and has Hollywood-graded features?
    I will ask him next time. Just wondering what constitutes "Hollywood graded" features now days? There are so many tools in use in various post shops, just about all of them claim "Hollywood" feature sets.

Judging by his initial response and since his time is money, I would say he gravitates towards products that have a paid support network behind them.

He is not an OS professional, he is a media production professional.

I have no bone in the argument personally, but I will ask him about Cinerella.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    After 10 years I would stop asking them about the open-source release. It's clear they have some proprietary code in there and they are in no financial condition to share it.

While it would be nice, it's obvious they just can't live up to that 2010 announcement.

Last I asked in the professional editing space, DaVinci Resolve was preferred over Lightworks in the Linux world.

Premiere in Windows and Final Cut on MacOS.
    Why DaVinci instead of Cinelerra, which is way more advanced and has Hollywood-graded features?

Leave a comment:

• Luke
    replied
    I presume ALL software that requires a license key and is closed-source to phone home until proven otherwise. That goes double when online activation is involved, and I saw somewhere that Lightworks asks for an online account. I have literally never activated or used proprietary software, so not totally sure about any one of them.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Righteous
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke View Post
    I have used Kdenlive for years with good results and no worries about the video editor phoning home and putting details of sensitive raw clips (or disk keys for encrypted volumes ) at risk
    Hey Luke, what editing software are you referring to specifically. This is a big turn off for me as well.

As far as Kdenlive, I really like the feature set but even in the latest version; stability was always an issue. Plus the render quality issue really was what I disliked also. Just a for instance. 1080p source video from my Panasonic camcorder; I would want to output at 1080p; the resulting render was nowhere near the quality of the source video; and I couldn't get and answer why.

My all time favorite was Sony Vegas. I loved the features and intuitive functionality, but it was expensive and windows only.
    Before that it was Premiere which I started wet behind the hears with in the 90s but found it buggy at times. When communicating with Adobe support the answer was to buy the latest version. $500 please. No thanks.

Last edited by Dr. Righteous; 11 January 2019, 09:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Luke
    replied
    I have used Kdenlive for years with good results and no worries about the video editor phoning home and putting details of sensitive raw clips (or disk keys for encrypted volumes ) at risk. I output to 1080p H264 files at a large bitrate, and compress to the published 540x960 at a much lower bitrate in Avidemux afterwards. This gives much better quality on the final published file. No way I would use a paid video editor and paid codecs just to bypass that. If compressijg twice is an issue I can render to an uncompressed format from Kdenlive but when I experimented with that I didn't get any visible improvement in quality over exporting to H264 at "6000" in the spinbutton for 1080p source files.

As for crashes, Kdenlive auto-saves frequently and it pays to hit the save button after any important change. Using the save button is cheap, paid codecs and editors are expensive and the cost to privacy of having anything in your system that askes for online accounts and license keys is beyond calculation.

I set up my computers to effectively function as though paid software, software license keys and activation, plus Google and Facebook did not exist and neither did any features not duplicated in true free and open source software.

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    Openshot crashes now and then, but I still find it as the best open source solution that does not have a steep learning curve.

Leave a comment:

• edwaleni
    replied
    Originally posted by Dr. Righteous View Post
    Really none of the open source editors I've tried have been the least bit reliable with the exception of PITIVI which I primarily used SD video capture.
    Kdenlive is the most feature rich but had really bad render output which I could never find a solution for.

I've read Divinci RESOLVE is fantastic but is released only for RedHat and Arch I believe. It can be ported over for DEB based distros. The "Lite" version is FREE but has all the functionality anyone should need. I've not had time to install it; planning on updating my 8 core machine to 18.04 LTS and then will try it after that.

Professional video editing, color correction, visual effects and audio post production all in a single application. Free and paid versions for Mac, Windows and Linux.

http://www.danieltufvesson.com/makeresolvedeb
    There are lots of references where people installed Resolve on Debian or their flavors. If you want to pay for professional support, you are recommended to use RH or CentOS.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Righteous
    replied
    Really none of the open source editors I've tried have been the least bit reliable with the exception of PITIVI which I primarily used SD video capture.
    Kdenlive is the most feature rich but had really bad render output which I could never find a solution for.

I've read Divinci RESOLVE is fantastic but is released only for RedHat and Arch I believe. It can be ported over for DEB based distros. The "Lite" version is FREE but has all the functionality anyone should need. I've not had time to install it; planning on updating my 8 core machine to 18.04 LTS and then will try it after that.

Professional video editing, color correction, visual effects and audio post production all in a single application. Free and paid versions for Mac, Windows and Linux.

Leave a comment:

• edwaleni
    replied
    After 10 years I would stop asking them about the open-source release. It's clear they have some proprietary code in there and they are in no financial condition to share it.

While it would be nice, it's obvious they just can't live up to that 2010 announcement.

Last I asked in the professional editing space, DaVinci Resolve was preferred over Lightworks in the Linux world.

Premiere in Windows and Final Cut on MacOS.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X