Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.31.4 Released As A Big Step Towards GNOME 3.32

Phoronix: GNOME 3.31.4 Released As A Big Step Towards GNOME 3.32

GNOME 3.31.4 is out today as their latest development snapshot towards this March's GNOME 3.32 desktop release. GNOME 3.31.4 comes with several exciting additions ranging from enhancing its default web browser to the GNOME Boxes virtualization component enabling 3D/OpenGL support with VirtIO-GPU...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any news on the new icon theme or the Gnome design refresh?

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
      expect that in 3.34 ,

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
        Many new icons already there. You can check Fedora Rawhide for this.

Comment

Funny thing, I'd be happy with GNOME as it is, if only it would be more responsive and without performance degradation over time. I don't give a damn about virtualization support, what language is used for rsvg or gnome "native" browser (last time I've used it was sometime around gnome 2).

Comment

It would be really nice with GObject Introspection for .NET Core.

Comment

The new GTK theme is a massive improvement, I've been using it on 3.30 and I no longer feel the need to install custom themes anymore.

I think Fedora said they wanted it for 3.32, but considering the GNOME-Shell theme hasn't been updated yet I don't think it will make it in time as they don't match nicely.

That icon theme though.....

Comment

Unfortunately, the major performance improvements that Canonical's Daniel van Vugt has been working on don't see a lot of attention. The changes aren't all perfect, but they're ready to go: there are a bunch of merge requests on the mutter and gnome-shell project, they largely work great and without any bugs, and they've been there for *months*.

It boggles my mind that the resident GNOME maintainers apparently don't really care: performance is THE most severe issue with GNOME at this point. The current set of patches result in a night-and-day difference, especially on Wayland.

I like GNOME, but if it weren't for these patches (I apply them manually), I'd have switched to a different DE.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                  Unfortunately, the major performance improvements that Canonical's Daniel van Vugt has been working on don't see a lot of attention. The changes aren't all perfect, but they're ready to go: there are a bunch of merge requests on the mutter and gnome-shell project, they largely work great and without any bugs, and they've been there for *months*.

It boggles my mind that the resident GNOME maintainers apparently don't really care: performance is THE most severe issue with GNOME at this point. The current set of patches result in a night-and-day difference, especially on Wayland.

I like GNOME, but if it weren't for these patches (I apply them manually), I'd have switched to a different DE.
                  Daniels patches cause quite a few regressions, but these problems seem to come from bad GNOME design decisions that were masked by the performance problems. Although the suggestion that a performance "fix" is somehow a feature is stupid.

I think they'll eventually get merged as some of them are.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post

You only have performance issues with Gnome? Consider yourself lucky. I just ran into a weird bug that locks up everything when opening a picture while using 2 Monitors with different scaling.
                    Before Nautilus regularly crashed when searching (but also when not searching, just less often), now after a fix the search its ridiculously slow.
                    I don't even want to comprehend how such things are possible on a regular basis... seems like multiple groups of WTF code barely working for the simplest usecase and barfing or acting up on everything else.
                    I would be very cautious with adding more patches on top.

I primary lack the time to take the jump to something else.

Comment

Working...
                    X