Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 73 Enabling The Mojo Video Decoders For Linux

Phoronix: Chrome 73 Enabling The Mojo Video Decoders For Linux

The upcoming Chrome 72 release enables the "Mojo Video Decoders" by default on Windows while that milestone is set to be realized for Linux systems with the following Chrome 73 web-browser update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Definitely not a coincidence then.

Just two days ago I performed a new Chromium build based off the instructions on the Chromium developer wiki and get a very strange error about the build system not being able to find Java. The build failed at a mojo component.

Downloaded Oracle JDK 11 and managed to complete the build successfully.

So apparently Mojo and its components have a build-time dependency on Java. At least, my limited testing shows that Java is not a runtime dependency.

My next step (when I'm not too lazy) will be to compile OpenJDK 11 from Oracle JDK 10 and see if OpenJDK can be used to satisfy Chromium's new build-time dependency.
    Last edited by Sonadow; 08 January 2019, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Still disabled anyway: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium...?id=522298#c51

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
        So in my case, still need to use the AUR package with vaapi-bin? Does this upcoming mojo thing make any difference or have any benefit then to us on Linux?

Comment

This doesn't have any short term benefits to Linux users., but maybe by the end of the year.... But in other news, the Fedora build of Chromium now includes the gpu video decoding patch which was until now maintained in an unofficial package. So that's two significant distributions that ship Chromium with hardware decoding (at least, for open source graphics), OpenSuse being the other. Fedora has been very strict and and doesn't support H.264 but it seems that it's not hard to work around that.

Ubuntu users can access gpu decoding via a PPA , perhaps now after Fedora's lead the Ubuntu Chromium devs will take that work and make it official. Probably all Ubuntu users here know about it, but just in case: https://launchpad.net/~saiarcot895/+.../chromium-beta

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

So in my case, still need to use the AUR package with vaapi-bin? Does this upcoming mojo thing make any difference or have any benefit then to us on Linux?
            It gives you larger binaries, more memory consumption, and a bit extra overhead.

It is an internal Chromium abstraction that is meant to make APIs more consistent and safer, but doesn't really impact the user.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
              It gives you larger binaries, more memory consumption, and a bit extra overhead.
              Exactly what Chrome/ium needs, I always said it was too light. (sarcasm)

But hey, whatever works to get to eventually enabling acceleration on Linux.

Comment

BTW, does anyone know whether the Chrome-under-Linux incompatibility to the "Microsoft Teams web client", which suddenly started some time in December, is just (as usual) caused by pure malice on the part of Microsoft, or is there any actual Windows/Linux Chrome difference causing it?

Comment

Working...
                X