X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M@GOid
    replied
    KDE should default to the other alternative launch menu:

The one they use now scares a lot of new users, and is a good argument to the people who think KDE is bloated and confusing to use. Old users that prefer the older can switch back:

Last edited by M@GOid; 06 January 2019, 03:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Martin didn't mention that the shadow situation is fixed on Wayland with recent GTK 3 version.
    Well, I simply enforce shadows through Compton for GTK windows and exclude a few things. Another good reason to avoid the crappy and buggy compositing of kwin_x11.

Btw. does Plasma + Compton run extremely well on lowend hardware, don't spread BS. Xfce has various flaws that are never going to be fixed. Not even things like "open new windows centered" actually work.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    The problem of XFCE is developed by few people, has a slow development and on high-resolution screens is a disaster. So far the only easily configurable DE on a high resolution screen is KDE.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    Thanks for asking, no. Everyone should avoid desktops that are never ready, resource hogs, slow and buggy: kde, gnome3, unity and windows GUIs after win 3.11.
    What exactly is wrong with Windows after 3.11? I mean: yes, Vista and 10 and stuff sucks, but Windows 98 SE was a joy to use.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied

Boot and shutdown times of Kde distributions are many seconds longer compared to Debian testing/sid Xfce that shuts down under a second. Qt applications breaks easier because of many qt packages they use. There is no freely configurable Whisker menu in Kde and KDe is heavier to use and run. Kde is not used with weaker hardware while Xfce is.
    Wait, wut? There are tons of alternative menus that are configurable like Whisker. You can easily install them as a new widget, then right-click the menu --> Alternatives and select the one you downloaded. Excalibur looks the most like Whisker, but there are others like Simple Menu, Tiled Menu, UMenu, etc.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Thanks for asking, no. Everyone should avoid desktops that are never ready, resource hogs, slow and buggy: kde, gnome3, unity and windows GUIs after win 3.11.
    https://flexion.org/posts/2014-03-me...-environments/
    They should also avoid 4 year old benchmarks.

FWIW, my Plasma 5 desktop uses 800mb of ram after startup. I can lower it in half if I disabled compositing, my drop-down terminal, pulseeffects, pamac-tray, baloo, and other programs that make my desktop pretty, convenient, & usable.

Also, almost no one outside of server admins and kernel developers even give a damn about boot time or shutdown time...especially when we're talking only "many seconds".

I'll take Plasma with its 4 seconds longer to boot up, 3 seconds longer to shut down, 20x the functionality of XFCE & 50x the usability of Gnome over less ram bragging rights.

EDIT: What can Whisker Menu do that the KDE Application menu can't?
    Last edited by skeevy420; 06 January 2019, 11:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Morbis55
    replied
    I changed from Ubuntu Mate to Kubuntu recently.
    In Mate there was "User and Groups" to manage the user account and user rights like "vboxusers"
    Is there such a thing in KDE? (not with terminal, with a GUI of course)

In the end i just installed "user and groups" from gnome

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied
    KDE is great, too bad Linux Mint developers gave up on it. Anyway, their loss...

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic KDE Developers Kick Off 2019 With More Fixes & Polishing

KDE Developers Kick Off 2019 With More Fixes & Polishing

Phoronix: KDE Developers Kick Off 2019 With More Fixes & Polishing

KDE developers were busy in the first days of 2019 working on Breeze icon improvements and other work so KDE Frameworks 5.54, Plasma 5.15, and KDE Applications 19.04 will be in even better shape...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X