X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hax0r
    replied
    Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Sooo... how about the PineBook for 100USD? https://www.pine64.org/?page_id=3707
    KDE runs like utter shit on Pinebook, I have one. Pinebook, like many ARM-base SoCs, doesn't accelerate GLX, because it doesn't need to, instead they provide hardware acceleration via EGL, Kwin in current state doesn't support EGL nor there are any future plans (as Martin Gräßlin once said). Running KDE on Pinebook is painfully slow, since almost everything is linked against GLX, overall experience is unbearable. I have said this before, if modern DE like KDE wants to be relevant in SoC board based computers field, EGL should be top priority. KDE should learn a thing or two from EmulationStation, or Kodi, these are examples of great EGL based software, and their performance is fluid on low power ARM boards.

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied
    Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Did you read the blog post? It's not just part of window decoration, it has API for X11 and Wayland iirc, they cite why they've taken that approach. That it also works with or without compositing by using this separate shadows service, which allows it to be used in other places. Doesn't seem particularly bad to me, the plugin/hook approach shouldn't be too much to ask, but perhaps a default should be allowed to to just apply shadows to windows if none is? I think there is probably less apps/use-cases where the reason to not supply shadows is actually relevant and could in that case have the default disabled or via the Window rules override it to off?
    I call that bad design if the client app has to do something to get the shadows to render. The shadow isn't part of the client window; it's not even rendered within the boundaries of the client window; why should the app need to worry about things rendered outside its boundaries? Rendering the shadow should be completely kwin's job.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Why bother, just use the Xfce desktop and the Whisker menu and all is good. The Kde desktop is bloated, slow and buggy. No thanks.
    It's somewhat bloated, but it's not slow and hardly buggy. I also have experience with Xfce and that wasn't good: IMHO, Xfce is more buggy and also unintuitive (except for Whisker). So why bother using Xfce? Trinity is still the best IMHO: it's super fast, super stable, more configurable than KDE and Xfce and when you apply a modern theme like Debonaire, it looks modern without adding any bloat.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Afaik it is called "kuser" and will add a page/tab/thing in the KDE settings, Personalization > Account Details.
    Kuser was one of the packages KDE dropped because it's still a KDE4 program. Newer distributions may or may not have it.

There's a partial port of Kuser for Plasma in the AUR and there are ways to get the Mate Users and Groups tool to work on KDE and show up in the KDE System Settings (either done manual or with an AUR package).

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Morbis55 View Post
    I changed from Ubuntu Mate to Kubuntu recently.
    In Mate there was "User and Groups" to manage the user account and user rights like "vboxusers"
    Is there such a thing in KDE? (not with terminal, with a GUI of course)

In the end i just installed "user and groups" from gnome
    Afaik it is called "kuser" and will add a page/tab/thing in the KDE settings, Personalization > Account Details.

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied

That is a super fast computer compared to for example to raspberry Pi and similar ARM CPU devices.
    Sooo... how about the PineBook for 100USD? https://www.pine64.org/?page_id=3707

That's 1.2GHz Quadcore ARM CPU, pretty similar to what RPi offers iirc? Granted it has 2GB RAM and the processor is newer architecture than what the rpi offers. This runs KDE well too I've heard. For most users, you're at a point where KDE is going to run well on their hardware, if you want to take the same approach, then eventually XFCE runs into it's own hardware limits and you'll have to resort to something like Puppy Linux with JWM? Does that mean Puppy Linux is better than Debian with XFCE? :P

I think you're talking out of your arse a bit mate. KDE has come a long way and has a lot going for it compared to XFCE these days, perhaps actually give it a fair try/comparison vs whenever your last experience was with it?(and if that were recent consider that you had a poor distro choice or didn't put in a similar amount of effort as you do with your debian/xfce setup that you often like to boast about). For me I used Manjaro KDE with some AUR packages such as the liquorix kernel, muqss and bfq.

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    I dont understand why KDE cant just let kwin render the shadow. Why is the shadow part of the window decoration? It makes no sense.
    Did you read the blog post? It's not just part of window decoration, it has API for X11 and Wayland iirc, they cite why they've taken that approach. That it also works with or without compositing by using this separate shadows service, which allows it to be used in other places. Doesn't seem particularly bad to me, the plugin/hook approach shouldn't be too much to ask, but perhaps a default should be allowed to to just apply shadows to windows if none is? I think there is probably less apps/use-cases where the reason to not supply shadows is actually relevant and could in that case have the default disabled or via the Window rules override it to off?

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    Kde is not used with weaker hardware while Xfce is.
    Nonsense, I've had KDE working great on an old Intel Core2Duo(dual-core 2.5GHz) with only 2GB RAM(around 450-500MB RAM after login), and running off USB 2.0 32GB stick(Installed OS, not a live-image), ATI graphics with 256MB vRAM. The disk storage is the obvious bottleneck, so apps like Firefox or Chrome need to have profile/cache moved onto RAM(I use a third-party package in AUR for this that uses tmpfs and overlayfs to sync back the delta periodically or when the app is closed). It's buttery smooth and fast.

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied
    I dont understand why KDE cant just let kwin render the shadow. Why is the shadow part of the window decoration? It makes no sense.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    I mapped KRunner to the meta key, it's way more useful than those weird starters. The WhiskerMenu of Xfce is nice in that regard, but it's not a game changer for me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X