GNOME On Wayland Is No Longer Frustratingly Slow With ASpeed Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME On Wayland Is No Longer Frustratingly Slow With ASpeed Graphics

Phoronix: GNOME On Wayland Is No Longer Frustratingly Slow With ASpeed Graphics

GNOME 3.32 fixes a frustrating issue if you have tried using GNOME on Wayland (or even just the GDM log-in manager with Wayland) while running on ASpeed graphics as is common to many workstation/server boards: it's no longer horrendously slow...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully this will have a positive impact on GNOME multiseat sessions with Wayland instead of Xorg.

Comment

I really hope that Nvidia gets their crap together this year too, and we can finally begin the shift towards Wayland. X11 is dragging on far too long. Even the maintainers readily acknowledge that there are parts of it which nobody touches anymore.

The only people still actively bad mouthing Wayland are the elitist users who want remote X11 support (despite the fact that in 99% of the scenarios I've heard those users present, there are other ways of doing it anyway) and remote desktop is apparently now available on Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Auzy View Post

The only people still actively bad mouthing Wayland are the elitist users who want remote X11 support (despite the fact that in 99% of the scenarios I've heard those users present, there are other ways of doing it anyway) and remote desktop is apparently now available on Wayland.
        You know, good thing about X11 is that it just works and has more features than Wayland which is a meme at this point and I sure as hell am not going to cripple my workflow with environments in their current state. Only thing that Wayland has for itself is "security", there are not enough standards and too many nih efforts surrounding it.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Gnome3 and Wayland will be forgotten like windows 8.
          I can't wait for Android to adopt Xorg.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepec9124 View Post
            You know, good thing about X11 is that it just works and has more features than Wayland which is a meme at this point and I sure as hell am not going to cripple my workflow with environments in their current state. Only thing that Wayland has for itself is "security", there are not enough standards and too many nih efforts surrounding it.
            Cripple your workflow? If you're talking about code development, no it wont.. Text editors are easy to port. Xorg doesn't work well with multimedia and the remote X11 functionality people beg for only works on limited apps anyway (because certain things won't work remotely). The whole compositing system was a massive hack, and there was so much division at the time of introduction, that they forked Xfree86 to Xorg.. Xfree86 is now dead. That's what will happen long term with Xorg (Xorg will probably live on as a backwards compatibility layer in the long future)

Also, yes, Xorg has more features. But only 3 developers understand parts of it, and things are so bad that someone submitted an Xprint patch to GLXGears as a joke. Half the trash in X11 isn't even used (a lot of stuff is already handled by the toolkits), and I'm willing to bet, that some functionality hasn't been used in years.

X11 is already in maintenance mode, and the maintainers have already said "we have problems".

You're right, it does still need more work, but Nvidia is the main problem at the moment, because their sh** attitude is keeping many developers from being able to test wayland and assist, or submit patches (particularly gaming developers and multimedia ones). Once they sort themselves out, Wayland development will likely accelerate quickly, especially now that Canonical are onboard.

Theres more info why on https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ituation&num=1

Comment

Cripple your workflow? [...]
              The only workflow (that I know of) it currently cripples is (high-end) graphics work since wayland has no protocol for color management (the proposed one from a few years ago is crap and I don't think that anyone even implemented that one). Personally I would love to move to wayland but due being a bit of a photographer I currently can't.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Gnome3 and Wayland will be forgotten like windows 8.
                Meh, the things people use on Windows 10 are mostly incremental improvements over what was introduced in Windows 8. Windows 7 display system is comparable to X11: widely used but is going to ultimately die out.

Comment

Oh, well. That might be nice to see. But on the other hand, in general, eye candy may be nice, but does it seriously improve workflow? A lot of things we do these days are still not that much different from things we did back in the days of old. And some login screen and mouse cursor movements were even possible on 286 machines with some EGA graphics cards slotted to an ISA bus system with 256K VRAM or something. Okay, that might be slightly exaggerated for illustrative purposes but still, there should always be fallback mechanisms to failsafe and super-compatible modes.
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Cripple your workflow? If you're talking about code development, no it wont.. Text editors are easy to port. Xorg doesn't work well with multimedia and the remote X11 functionality people beg for only works on limited apps anyway (because certain things won't work remotely). The whole compositing system was a massive hack, and there was so much division at the time of introduction, that they forked Xfree86 to Xorg.. Xfree86 is now dead. That's what will happen long term with Xorg (Xorg will probably live on as a backwards compatibility layer in the long future)

Also, yes, Xorg has more features. But only 3 developers understand parts of it, and things are so bad that someone submitted an Xprint patch to GLXGears as a joke. Half the trash in X11 isn't even used (a lot of stuff is already handled by the toolkits), and I'm willing to bet, that some functionality hasn't been used in years.

X11 is already in maintenance mode, and the maintainers have already said "we have problems".

You're right, it does still need more work, but Nvidia is the main problem at the moment, because their sh** attitude is keeping many developers from being able to test wayland and assist, or submit patches (particularly gaming developers and multimedia ones). Once they sort themselves out, Wayland development will likely accelerate quickly, especially now that Canonical are onboard.

Theres more info why on https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ituation&num=1
                    There is no need for people to understand how X11 works, with DRI 3 we have tear free experience, VNC works, hell it's even stable. Problem with Wayland is that compositors have way more things to do than before which leads to situation in which we are right now: GNOME more or less working and KDE mostly glitchy mess.

Comment

Working...
                    X