Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sireangelus
    replied
    If any of the developers is reading this, my wishlist is composed of just 2 items:
    Make the client load each email account in parallel- 2019 guys, we have multi-core and gigabit internet.
    Android app.

Leave a comment:

• fuzz
    replied
    Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
    Thunderbird is pretty solid, but I do wish they updated the UI. I have the message pane on the right of the email list (vertical layout), and because list items take up exactly one row, unless you stretch your window out massively wide, the columns are very short. It's impossible to get a full normal-length subject to fully show. That's one reason I prefer KMail over Thunderbird.
    Do you ever have any issues getting KMail to work? Getting it set up seems problematic for most people, so it seems astounding to trust email with it :/. Stuff like this is super common: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=215&t=138986

Leave a comment:

• MrCooper
    replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    Sounds like you're doing something (or multiple somethings) wrong. Check your font size and scroll wheel speed, both are configurable.
    Sounds like your message list is just too small to notice the problem. I'm using the "Vertical View" layout, so the message list spans the whole vertical space of the window. It has ~60 lines, and scrolling (by any means) is painfully slow, even with a non-4K sceen.

Leave a comment:

• Zan Lynx
    replied
    Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
    * Performance enhancements to the message filtering, it is dead slow if you have lots of filters and one marks the email as read.
    I think I know what goes on there. You're using IMAP I bet. It has to change the Read/Unread status on the server.

If it didn't do it right then in the filtering, it might end up with a bunch of batched filter changes at the end, then a crash or power-off would lose the batch. On restart it wouldn't know where it had been in the filter process.

Leave a comment:

• Zan Lynx
    replied
    Originally posted by xorbe View Post
    I use Thunderbird on a 4K screen, and scrolling the email header list is so slow.
    That is definitely not a Thunderbird problem. This screen here is 4K on Windows and two of my laptops are 4K screens with Linux/Gnome/Wayland. All of them scroll at full speed.

Leave a comment:

• Michael_S
    replied
    Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    Or just copy the profile over?
    Heh, didn't think of it. Thanks. Does anyone know off-hand if profiles for Thunderbird are cross-platform compatible? Can I copy one from Linux to Windows?

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
    The one advantage of a web application is easier sign on for multiple devices. Right now I have to set up Thunderbird, then my email on Thunderbird, then my Radicale calendar on Thunderbird on each of my machines. When I use my wife's laptop I either have to set it up there too, or just not get it.

A webapp with a quick login would be easier. But it's no trivial thing, so I'm sticking with Thunderbird.
    Or just copy the profile over?

Leave a comment:

• molecule-eye
    replied
    Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post

IMHO configuring Thunderbird to open a message upon double click on its own window/tab is the superior solution, reading panes are always a compromise. At least in my experience.
    Disagree, but that's just my preference. Even doing what you suggest wouldn't solve the problem since the email list would still only be a single row, and would still require stretching out the window horizontally to show the full subject, and this would no doubt result in poor use of window space (since the window typically has to be relatively long vertically for most people).

Leave a comment:

• JPFSanders
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post
    They could reimplement it in a modern native web app way. React / Redux frontend with Gatsby. WebGL graphics and MS office document rendering in a background WebWorker using emscripten translated C++ to JS code. JSON RPC REST API. Node.JS backend @ 127.0.0.1. All features could run as micro-services in their own Docker containers with different base OS layer for each container. Maybe mix in Kubernetes to orchestrate things.
    Takes hat off, nodes in appreciation of fine satire.

Leave a comment:

• JPFSanders
    replied
    Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
    Thunderbird is pretty solid, but I do wish they updated the UI. I have the message pane on the right of the email list (vertical layout), and because list items take up exactly one row, unless you stretch your window out massively wide, the columns are very short. It's impossible to get a full normal-length subject to fully show. That's one reason I prefer KMail over Thunderbird.
    IMHO configuring Thunderbird to open a message upon double click on its own window/tab is the superior solution, reading panes are always a compromise. At least in my experience.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X