Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thunderbird In 2019 To Focus On Performance & UI/UX Improvements

Phoronix: Thunderbird In 2019 To Focus On Performance & UI/UX Improvements

As a longtime Thunderbird user going back to its original release, the details Mozilla revealed today about their development focus on their mail client for 2019 have me excited and adding to what I am looking forward to in 2019...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thunderbird now uses improvements from Firefox since 57 with Project Electrolysis (e10s) and such.
    The underpinnings of the modern Firefox.
    However the UI and UX for Thunderbird still feels dated and is in dire need of improvements.

Comment

Woohoo, so nice that they're going to keep investing in Thunderbird after all. I think if (I know it won't be Mozilla) proper Exchange support would be implemented, for many it would be a reason to ditch Outlook. For me Outlook crashes several times per week, Thunderbird crashes maybe once in 6 months!

Comment

I don't mind that thunderbird is outdated. It does its job and it does it well.

Comment

I used to use Thunderbird quite a lot back in the day. For me it made sense when you checked email only on your own machine.
          Now that I have a phone, tablet, personal and work machine etc.. webmail (and the gmail app) seem easier.

I do use Outlook (for mac) for my work exchange, and it's terrible. I wish I could replace it with something better.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            However the UI and UX for Thunderbird still feels dated and is in dire need of improvements.
            Tread lightly. It is very functional and practical as-is. My fear is the developers will take the Win10 & Gnome3 approach, i.e. radically altering the UI, producing an ugly clunky mess and breaking everyone's workflow in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
              I used to use Thunderbird quite a lot back in the day. For me it made sense when you checked email only on your own machine.
              Now that I have a phone, tablet, personal and work machine etc.. webmail (and the gmail app) seem easier.
              Huh? How is a web app "easier" than a native app? Thunderbird is simply a client after all. I too have a phone, tablet, personal and work machine. And running Thunderbird on the personal machine makes email easier to use and manage. If I read a message from my phone, it shows up as "read" in desktop Thunderbird. If I send a message from my tablet, I can see it in the "Sent" folder everwhere. My calendar and contacts are similarly sync'd across all my devices, and into Thunderbird via CardDav and CalDav. It's so much easier and more coherent than some clunky gmail thing.

Edit: perhaps you are thinking of the old POP3 style email services that only support a single client?? Either way, that's nothing to do with Thunderbird.
              Last edited by torsionbar28; 02 January 2019, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                Huh? How is a web app "easier" than a native app? Thunderbird is simply a client after all. I too have a phone, tablet, personal and work machine. And running Thunderbird on the personal machine makes email easier to use and manage. If I read a message from my phone, it shows up as "read" in desktop Thunderbird. If I send a message from my tablet, I can see it in the "Sent" folder everwhere. My calendar and contacts are similarly sync'd across all my devices, and into Thunderbird via CardDav and CalDav. It's so much easier and more coherent than some clunky gmail thing.

Edit: perhaps you are thinking of the old POP3 style email services that only support a single client?? Either way, that's nothing to do with Thunderbird.
                Web apps... Once a coworker asked me to take a look at her netbook, because she thought it might have a virus or something, since checking her Yahoo Mail on a browser was too slow. There was no virus, just Yahoo creating a bloated webpage, too heavy for a old Intel Atom to handle. I them suggested Thunderbird to her, since it could retrieve her e-mails fast without having to load all the crap from the so called Web App...

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

More I mean having a consistent experience. The Gmail android app, and the Gmail webapp are consistent across my devices. There's no Thunderbird on Android, and I don't have Thunderbird installed on my work PC, just personal.

Comment

The ui could use a makeup

Comment

Working...
                    X