Xfce4-Panel 4.13.4 Released As Another Step Towards The Xfce 4.14 Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    Xfce, MATE and LXQT and other relatively lightweight DEs are the only ones worth using. Everything else is bloated garbage.
    I didn't put 48GB of ram into my computer to see how little of ram I could use. If my system isn't using up my ram I'm either not doing anything or I didn't configure a program to use ram over disks for caching and whatnot.

My Plasma desktop sits at around 800mb idle. I could lower it a few hundred MB and get really close to stock XFCE numbers by removing Pamac-updater, tweaking my Yakuake settings, removing PulseEffects, stopping some background tasks like Baloo, and not using extreme performance and memory inducing compositing settings like full screen repaints for VSync.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      I didn't put 48GB of ram into my computer to see how little of ram I could use.
      I put 64GB of RAM into my computer because I bought it myself.

I expect at least 63.7GB out of it useable for applications I want to launch, tmpfs or whatever other thing (not your business), because I paid for it and did it for a reason, not the retarded DE dev who bloats his thing up to the moon.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
        I put 64GB of RAM into my computer because I bought it myself.

I expect at least 63.7GB out of it useable for applications I want to launch, tmpfs or whatever other thing (not your business), because I paid for it and did it for a reason, not the retarded DE dev who bloats his thing up to the moon.
        Personally, I expect 46 out of my 48 to be readily usable. I just assume that 2gb will be used by the system and web browsers or video players since there is damn near always one running.

If you wanna get technical...I have my system tweaked to use 10GB just for ZFS crap, 20GB for /tmp, and the ~18GB left is for whatever...about 16GB using my 2GB assumption. The ZFS stuff is overkill based on my storage size & the 20GB /tmp is overkill 95% of the time.

Very few packages actually need 20GB to compile...but sometimes I move games to /tmp before playing them...I once had /tmp using up 38GB so it could hold Skyrim and all my Skyrim mods.

I dunno...once I hit 16GB, I could care less if my desktop uses a few hundred MB of ram more than usual if it greatly increases productivity. Like I said, I can configure a Plasma desktop to run just as light as an XFCE desktop...doesn't mean I want to.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          Personally, I expect 46 out of my 48 to be readily usable. I just assume that 2gb will be used by the system and web browsers or video players since there is damn near always one running.

If you wanna get technical...I have my system tweaked to use 10GB just for ZFS crap, 20GB for /tmp, and the ~18GB left is for whatever...about 16GB using my 2GB assumption. The ZFS stuff is overkill based on my storage size & the 20GB /tmp is overkill 95% of the time.

Very few packages actually need 20GB to compile...but sometimes I move games to /tmp before playing them...I once had /tmp using up 38GB so it could hold Skyrim and all my Skyrim mods.

I dunno...once I hit 16GB, I could care less if my desktop uses a few hundred MB of ram more than usual if it greatly increases productivity. Like I said, I can configure a Plasma desktop to run just as light as an XFCE desktop...doesn't mean I want to.
          Oh, I agree about productivity, but the problem is in most cases the bloated stuff is even less productive since it's made for the mobile 10 year-old kids (I can't really call that design somehow else). "Hiding menus" so you have to do even more clicks to get what you want, or wasted space so you have to move the mouse more.

For example, I'm not 100% minimalist when it comes to features. I do use xfce with compiz but for productivity (e.g. extended zoom, better workspaces, etc) not for visuals which actually decrease productivity. Even if it's slightly more resource consuming than xfwm, I think it's worth it.

And obviously, if you end up using swap (even with zram), the more RAM you have, the better (means less swap overall). My use case tends to use swap as well (though mostly swapping out tmpfs files).

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Meh, I still prefer Trinity (although I do use KDE Plasma as well): more sane, more stable, more configurable and even more lightweight than Xfce or MATE
            If I remember it based on KDE and KDE always pissed me off with unreasonable dependencies, huge hell of libs and odd assumption I have to use Kde proKrams for everything. Also I generally prefer Debian and it seems to lack that thing. I can imagine self building something like XFCE parts myself, but KDE parts... sounds like too big adventure for me.

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
              If I remember it based on KDE and KDE always pissed me off with unreasonable dependencies, huge hell of libs and odd assumption I have to use Kde proKrams for everything. Also I generally prefer Debian and it seems to lack that thing. I can imagine self building something like XFCE parts myself, but KDE parts... sounds like too big adventure for me.
              In that case you may want to give Q4OS a try. Built on top of Debian Stable and Trinity by default.

Or, if you want to try it out on your current system, the Q4OS devs have provided a script on their forums to add Trinity to Debian.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

In that case you may want to give Q4OS a try. Built on top of Debian Stable and Trinity by default.

Or, if you want to try it out on your current system, the Q4OS devs have provided a script on their forums to add Trinity to Debian.
                Nope, I do not want to give a try to unknown forks of Debian sticking to unknown policies. Why not just add Debian package, so Debian and all derivatives would benefit from it?

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
                  Nope, I do not want to give a try to unknown forks of Debian sticking to unknown policies. Why not just add Debian package, so Debian and all derivatives would benefit from it?
                  Unknown? They are collaborating with German businesses, so they're known and have business-like policies. Also, it's not really a fork, they just add Trinity on top of Debian, so it's more akin to, say, Fedora KDE or Lubuntu (with the exception of who handles the support). And they do have packages for Debian, as I said.

Comment

I do not think I would like policies suitable for German business applied to e.g. my desktop or laptop. Furthermore, I've got idea I don't really like enterprise desktops for my own use. If someone isn't really fork, why they don't just add packages to debian repo? Either way I think at the end of day I got to like Debian policies most, so demanding me to change that ... just very unlikely to work, unless something groundbreaking happens or I spot option that would perform even better for me. I rely on these policies for fun and profit - and I like it this way. Say for me it matters if I would be able to create custom respin and deploy it - eventually even on commercial grounds or so. Debian is ok with it as far as I can tell.
                    Last edited by SystemCrasher; 18 January 2019, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X