Xfce4-Panel 4.13.4 Released As Another Step Towards The Xfce 4.14 Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfce4-Panel 4.13.4 Released As Another Step Towards The Xfce 4.14 Desktop

Phoronix: Xfce4-Panel 4.13.4 Released As Another Step Towards The Xfce 4.14 Desktop

The Xfce 4.14 remains long overdue for release but with Xfce4-Panel 4.13.4 being released on New Year's Day gives us hope we could see this long-awaited desktop environment out in 2019...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

MATE consumes less-equal memory than xfce 4.14 (which depends on both gtk2 and gtk3).

Comment

Using XFCE atm, seems fine. I would say MATE is possibly better but XFCE does feel a little more customization.

Usually I use Plasma5, maybe someday I'll move back to It if I ever get a AMDGPU. (works fine with nvidia but has some quirks you gotta work around)

Comment

I like XFCE. Nice, small and reasonable "classic" DE which does not attempts to solve some non-existent problems and does not follows hype driven development patterns. It rather fast and does not consumes too much memory, nor brings weird deps. Probably most sane DE to the date of one needs just DE that does not interferes with their work rather than automatic solution to all (*) humankind problems

(*) somehow it isn't up to user to decide what humankind problems should be solved - so it does not imply automatic uber-monster would be anyhow useful at all, however one can count on it being slow and big resource hog . Two typical showcases would be KDE and Gnome - both are unusable for me, for quite different reasons though.

Comment

Originally posted by enihcam View Post
          MATE consumes less-equal memory than xfce 4.14 (which depends on both gtk2 and gtk3).
          That is odd, I have tested this weekend both XFCE and MATE on my system and saw a little difference of ram using a little more resource MATE, but anyway is something like 120 MB of Ram is not too much difference, the main reason MATE is keep updating very often than XFCE, but I think that is the people that is involved on the project, must be more developer than XFCE,
          As theriddick said I share the same reason I personally prefer XFCE the customization have more options (not too many as KDE, but you can get the same result) than MATE.

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
            I like XFCE. Nice, small and reasonable "classic" DE which does not attempts to solve some non-existent problems and does not follows hype driven development patterns. It rather fast and does not consumes too much memory, nor brings weird deps. Probably most sane DE to the date of one needs just DE that does not interferes with their work rather than automatic solution to all (*) humankind problems

(*) somehow it isn't up to user to decide what humankind problems should be solved - so it does not imply automatic uber-monster would be anyhow useful at all, however one can count on it being slow and big resource hog . Two typical showcases would be KDE and Gnome - both are unusable for me, for quite different reasons though.
            Meh, I still prefer Trinity (although I do use KDE Plasma as well): more sane, more stable, more configurable and even more lightweight than Xfce or MATE

Comment

Ah, Xfce news. Michael sure cares about his most prominent reader debianxfce

Comment

I tested both, Mate and Xfce on a old Pentium 3 with 128MB of ram and Mate ran like garbage (slowww) while xfce responsiveness gave the machine a breath of new life.

For those wanting a modern looking xfce Arc-Dark theme + Papirus icon theme is the way to go. And if you want Eye candy is really easy to replace xfwm4 with compiz and use a dockbar like plank

Comment

Xfce, MATE and LXQT and other relatively lightweight DEs are the only ones worth using. Everything else is bloated garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                    I tested both, Mate and Xfce on a old Pentium 3 with 128MB of ram and Mate ran like garbage (slowww) while xfce responsiveness gave the machine a breath of new life.

For those wanting a modern looking xfce Arc-Dark theme + Papirus icon theme is the way to go. And if you want Eye candy is really easy to replace xfwm4 with compiz and use a dockbar like plank
                    KWin works great to replace xfwm4 as well. It's been my go-to for XFCE Eye Candy for a really long time. KWin has so many damn features it isn't funny...and I completely get why some people are turned off by that.

I call it the XFQT desktop.

Comment

Working...
                    X