Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma, GNOME Shell, Xfce, LXQt & MATE Linux Gaming Benchmarks, Including X.Org/Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are using Wine+dxvk with KWin/Wayland, you need to set

Code:
    dxgi.numBackBuffers = 3
    In your dxvk.conf, otherwise your framerate will be capped.

The Witcher 3 runs fine with KWin/Wayland with that setting.

I ran some gaming tests using KWin Wayland session, and noticed a strange thing. When using wined3d, framerate is uncapped when vsync is off in games as expected. But with dxvk, vysnc option is som...

Last edited by shmerl; 30 December 2018, 04:00 PM.

Comment

I'd switch to KWin/Wayland completely, if not for this annoying bug: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=387313

Comment

Which native wayland programs are used to make the benchmark?

Comment

Wow.

LXQt has a nice score, specially if compared with xfce.

Nice to see this

Comment

Overall from these results, the performance was fairly close between the different desktop environments -- more so than some of the past Linux gaming desktop comparisons further in the past. The (X)Wayland performance on the current GNOME and KDE releases were also much closer than we have seen in some of our previous comparisons.
            That's a little repetitive-sounding for a premium subscriber article; lots of use of "performance", "desktop", and "comparisons". My English teachers would have fits!

I'd suggest:

Overall, the performance was fairly similar between the different desktop environments -- more so than past Linux gaming benchmarks would indicate. The (X)Wayland results, on current GNOME and KDE releases, were especially close.
            or even

Overall, this benchmarking reveals a far closer race between the tested desktop environments than historical results would indicate -- particularly between GNOME and KDE's (X)Wayland offerings.
            I doubt that scrubbing one mention of what kernel's being used would hurt the SEO enough to worry about, but then I'm no expert on that stuff.

Unbidden Revising Person, AWA~Y!
            Last edited by mulenmar; 30 December 2018, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              I'd switch to KWin/Wayland completely, if not for this annoying bug: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=387313
              Yes, this annoys me as well... I use Kmail much less than before because of this. But flickering can happen (but seldom) in other applications too. But I did the switch to Plasma Wayland anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Use the Xfce desktop, it is stable, light, fast and freely configurable. KDE does not have the freely configurable Whisker menu for example. All games run fine if the run with your OS.
                It also has a bug with xfce4-panel's Clock plugin that causes the date and time fields to be reset to a blank, Custom Format entry if you try to change anything and then close the configuration window properly (i.e., by the Close button).

That bug is fixed in the 4.13 series... which means running unstable, development code, unless you feel like backporting the patches... which, due to how much work happened in between to get things ready for GTK3 is not simple if you aren't familiar with GTK code and the equivalents and such.

Said 4.13 series is only available in experimental.

And don't tell me to run an Ubuntu package, I'm not going to make a Frankendebian.

Otherwise, yeah, Xfce plus gedit is wonderful for the few games I've run under it.

Comment

Wayland taking so long have been frustrating but seeing now how well xwayland performs is actually great news! Hope in some more years things are butter smooth

Comment

Problem is compositing on many of these desktops forces Vsync, I know on KDE you can at least turn compositing off. With Wayland you can't even turn off Vsync. You can't play competitive FPS with Vsync.

Comment

Originally posted by czz0 View Post
                      Problem is compositing on many of these desktops forces Vsync, I know on KDE you can at least turn compositing off. With Wayland you can't even turn off Vsync. You can't play competitive FPS with Vsync.
                      KWin doesn't force vsync on fullscreen windows. At least normally it's not. So you'll get as much framerate as you can if you need. XWayland + Vulkan is a special case. See above.

Comment

Working...
                      X