Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma, GNOME Shell, Xfce, LXQt & MATE Linux Gaming Benchmarks, Including X.Org/Wayland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
    Yeah, I wrote "fullscreen apps" because it only works with those yet. For windowed apps, Xwayland still uses a fixed timer. I know how it can be made to work with windowed apps as well, somebody just needs to get around to doing it.
    Oh, okay, but isn't everything in GNOME on Wayland windowed or borderless window? AFAIK, there is no exclusive fullscreen mode available. Everything "fullscreen" runs in a borderless window which means you are always going to encounter that xwayland issue.

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
    This is an Xwayland issue, mutter is fine.
    That makes sense.

Comment

Brisse nice. I tested Fedora devel at 144Hz and confirm it works well. 240Hz is very madlad and might leave too few ns to compute all the stuff needed before the next frame.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        Brisse nice. I tested Fedora devel at 144Hz and confirm it works well. 240Hz is very madlad and might leave too few ns to compute all the stuff needed before the next frame.
        Oh, by the way, you might still want to add 'export CLUTTER_DEFAULT_FPS=144' in '/etc/environment', otherwise the mouse pointer will only update at 60fps even though native applications now work properly. There is some separate issue affecting the mouse pointer, unless a fix has passed under my radar since I last checked.

Comment

Thanks. Already had that. Next step is a much faster mouse. Any recommendations?

Comment

144Hz My first performance mouse was a Razer Diamondback (the original version), then Copperhead (which was a disappointment due to tracking issues) and then Deathadder which was great and lasted many years. Razer doesn't provide any Linux-support though, and while there is third party tools like razercfg I would still recommend something else.

When my Deathadder finally started showing it's age and started double-clicking on single clicks recently, I decided I wanted a mouse which is "driverless" and fully hardware configurable which would be great for Linux.

My choice landed on the Ducky Secret, and while not quite as ergonomic as the Deathadder it still feels familiar, seems well built and does it's job without looking to gamer-ish and tacky like a lot of mice these days do. The ability to adjust everything with button presses on the mouse without needing any software is great, but it takes a few minutes of reading the manual before it makes sense. The only other manufacturer I know of that has something similar is Zowie.

Another good alternative might be some Logitech combined with libratbag/piper.

Jeez, that turned into an off topic wall of text, didn't it? Sorry about that

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

Oh, okay, but isn't everything in GNOME on Wayland windowed or borderless window?
              What matters is that the X11 window fully covers its toplevel window, i.e. it’s not reparented to another, larger X11 window (e.g. for decorations or drop shadows), so that X11 can directly change the buffer of the Wayland surface when the application does a buffer swap.

Comment

Brisse thanks! Docyou know which mouse has the highest USB polling rate?

Comment

144Hz Pretty much every modern mouse can go to 1000hz. All of mine has since the Copperhead, and I could even do it on the Diamondback by hacking the Windows registry. I prefer 500hz these days because I don't really notice much difference when going to 1000hz but it does increase CPU load a tiny bit which is unnecessary unless you can actually perceive the lower latency. Remember there are diminishing returns. Stepping up to 500hz yields a 6ms improvement but stepping up to 1000hz from there only yields a 1ms improvement.
                  Code:
                  | 125hz = 8ms | 500hz = 2ms | 1000hz = 1ms |

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                    This is a joke, right?

240Hz has a 4ms to compute all the stuff needed for the next frame, which is an eternity for a CPU/GPU.

FYI, a ns is to a ms what a microsecond is to a second. Same scale.

Comment

Working...
                    X