Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma, GNOME Shell, Xfce, LXQt & MATE Linux Gaming Benchmarks, Including X.Org/Wayland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brisse
    replied
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Brisse how’s the perceived fesktop performance when dragging windows around the gears at 240Hz?
    It's perfectly smooth, although it's actually 119.88hz which is what my monitor is running at. es2gears_wayland has a bug which doubles the fps of the CLI output, but it's easy to confirm it's actually 119.88fps using Gallium HUD.

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=105376

Leave a comment:

• MrCooper
    replied
    Originally posted by Brisse View Post
    But as you can see, V-Sync is borked when running glxgears which is running through xwayland.
    Yeah, I wrote "fullscreen apps" because it only works with those yet. For windowed apps, Xwayland still uses a fixed timer. I know how it can be made to work with windowed apps as well, somebody just needs to get around to doing it.

The xserver might support it, but mutter needs some work.
    This is an Xwayland issue, mutter is fine.

Leave a comment:

• treba
    replied
    Really good to see gnome wayland perform so well already. Given that 3.32 will most probably have a lot of further optimizations (like lower mouse movement overhead, better respont times, less overhead overall) and there's still room up (using hardware planes for fullscreen apps) I expected it to perform worse.

Leave a comment:

• 144Hz
    replied
    Brisse how’s the perceived fesktop performance when dragging windows around the gears at 240Hz?

Leave a comment:

• Brisse
    replied
    Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

Not true anymore with xserver 1.20.y. Fullscreen apps using Xwayland are properly synchronized to the Wayland compositor's refresh cycle now. The upcoming 1.20.4 release should improve this further, and fix the hangs with some Vulkan games.
    Doesn't work, at least not on GNOME. Watch this:

Code:
    ~$ glxgears
    296 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.109 FPS
    293 frames in 5.0 seconds = 58.422 FPS
    292 frames in 5.0 seconds = 58.378 FPS
    ^C
    ~$ es2gears_wayland
    EGL_VERSION = 1.5 (DRI2)
    vertex shader info:
    fragment shader info:
    info:
    1193 frames in 5.0 seconds = 238.314 FPS
    1192 frames in 5.0 seconds = 238.305 FPS
    1200 frames in 5.0 seconds = 239.808 FPS
    ^C
    ~$
    Native Wayland applications (like es2gears_wayland) supports HW Presentation timing thanks to this patch: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte...e_requests/171

But as you can see, V-Sync is borked when running glxgears which is running through xwayland.

Note: es2gears_wayland has a bug which makes it output double the frame rate. The actual frame rate is 119.88fps which is the refresh rate of my monitor. This is easy to confirm with Gallium HUD which shows 119.88fps.

The xserver might support it, but mutter needs some work. Not sure what the situation is for KWin.
    Last edited by Brisse; 12-31-2018, 09:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MrCooper
    replied
    Originally posted by Brisse View Post

It still requires some work, especially on xwayland, before the subjective experience can match the numbers, because when you are using xwayland, which I believe all of these benchmarked games do, frames are being rendered as fast as possible without any regard for display presentation timing. The result is impressive benchmark scores and abysmal user experience because a lot of these rendered frames are dropped before ever reaching the display, and the ones that are displayed are not timed properly which results in stutter and jitter.
    Not true anymore with xserver 1.20.y. Fullscreen apps using Xwayland are properly synchronized to the Wayland compositor's refresh cycle now. The upcoming 1.20.4 release should improve this further, and fix the hangs with some Vulkan games.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by czz0 View Post
    Problem is compositing on many of these desktops forces Vsync, I know on KDE you can at least turn compositing off. With Wayland you can't even turn off Vsync. You can't play competitive FPS with Vsync.
    Obviously you can, just get a 240Hz monitor. I mean, you do care about being competitive at FPS so it's the bare minimum.

Once you go 240Hz you can't go back.

Leave a comment:

• Brisse
    replied
    Originally posted by TheOne View Post
    Wayland taking so long have been frustrating but seeing now how well xwayland performs is actually great news! Hope in some more years things are butter smooth
    It still requires some work, especially on xwayland, before the subjective experience can match the numbers, because when you are using xwayland, which I believe all of these benchmarked games do, frames are being rendered as fast as possible without any regard for display presentation timing. The result is impressive benchmark scores and abysmal user experience because a lot of these rendered frames are dropped before ever reaching the display, and the ones that are displayed are not timed properly which results in stutter and jitter.

Leave a comment:

• Markore
    replied
    Where is RAM usage, comparison across Desktop environments? ...
    For being Lightweight (even bigger then Lxde) and for it being very configurable, I choose Xfce for years..
    I was hoping to see resources utilisation comparison across DE's..

Leave a comment:

• 144Hz
    replied
    TheOne Wayland (protocol) is pretty much complete. Some compositors might still be lacking a lot of features but that is not the responsibility of wayland.

Fedora and Ubuntu do pretty good on wayland sessions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X