Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Biggest GNOME Stories Of 2018

Phoronix: The Biggest GNOME Stories Of 2018

The GNOME desktop environment advanced in 2018 especially when it came to its rather mature Wayland compositor support plus a lot of minor usability fixes ("paper cuts"), the PipeWire remote desktop/recording capabilities, continuing to mature Flatpak, performance improvements, and other changes to polish off the "GNOME 3" experience this year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Lemme jump in! That's how I see GNOME 3!

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      GNOME on Debian Sid is fully updated. Maintained by a large pool of developers.
      GNOME on Debian Sid is great and it's my daily driver whenever I'm not occasionally using i3. Don't listen to the trolls.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        ...fedora servers are so slow that download 1.8GB to test gnome3 is out of question
        ...gnome3 is full of bloatware and dependencies that installing to Debian sid fails

I did try to test gnome3 to know how bad it is today and it is so bad.
        fedora servers are slow ? Download a torrent then: https://torrent.fedoraproject.org/

Comment

I'm still pissed from their decision last year to remove tray icons in 3.26.

They talk about having other APIs which are supposed to replace these which are the notification API, media playback API, search API and cloud providers API but even with those APIs in mind they forget the simple fact that lots of applications do not fit into these categories but still run in the backgound and the user needs some indication if they are running or not.
          Gnome even themselves had a usecase for this (the night light) and added a custom entry into gnome shell to handle this! They realized that it didn't fit into any of these APIs and solved it by hardcoding it so it solves their own issue but doesn't care about modularity so noone else can do the same! Users also complain that they are not aware if skype/steam are running in the backgrund, what a surprise!

I'm fine with that they want to deprecate it and removing it eventually, but removing it before even giving developers an option that works before removing it is just plain stupid.

Comment

...fedora servers are so slow that download 1.8GB to test gnome3 is out of question.
            It took 4 minutes yesterday to download the latest Fedora Workstation ISO. I wouldn't qualify that as "slow".

Comment

...fedora servers are so slow that download 1.8GB to test gnome3 is out of question
              ...gnome3 is full of bloatware and dependencies that installing to Debian sid fails

Then don't download from fedora servers, torrent it.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
                I'm still pissed from their decision last year to remove tray icons in 3.26.
                I felt the same so I am using TopIcons Redux now: https://extensions.gnome.org/extensi...opicons-redux/

There is one caveat: programs in the autostart folder may start before TopIcons so they won't show tray icons. To circumvent that edit the exec line in the .desktop file e.g. for Dropbox: Exec=/bin/sh -c "sleep 30 && dropbox start -i" and make it read-only.
                Last edited by George99; 29 December 2018, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                  johanb That’s funny. I feel very different about the tray. It was “noisy”. I was happy to see it go.
                  I would also be happy to see it go, if there was some alternative which was less introusive.

But there isn't, which is why I'm annoyed.

Comment

No, you didn't. You just looked at a few screenshots and then went back to your beloved, holy Xfce.

Comment

Working...
                    X