X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent for wayland adoption

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Most users don't care about FTP. If its important to you, just use a dedicated FTP client, such as FileZilla.[/LIST]
      Tried FileZilla in the past, but didn't quite understand it. Plus, why remove FTP at all, why not make it optional? They could add it back as a flag. Normal users won't go to chrome://flags anyway, so they're safe.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        The few times I look at the web without an adblocker and NoScript I freak out at the amount of bs all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
          Excellent for wayland adoption
          How's that?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

You bring up a good point. Someone needs to figure out how to block bad memes too.
            Or at least stop making sitcoms.

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
              Why don't we hear about performance improvements anymore?? Did we really hit a wall for it?
              Chrome 72 includes V8 7.2, which has significant speed improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

How's that?
                Excellent for wayland use

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Tried FileZilla in the past, but didn't quite understand it. Plus, why remove FTP at all, why not make it optional? They could add it back as a flag. Normal users won't go to chrome://flags anyway, so they're safe.
                  They still have to maintain the code. Then it might affect code changes and refactoring. Its good to shed some old things.
                  FileZilla is a good FTP client, it is simple to use. Works the same as most other FTP clients.
                  You connect to a server, and have two panes, the left one is local, the right one if the remote. Then you drag and drop to download or upload files.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Most users don't care about FTP. If its important to you, just use a dedicated FTP client, such as FileZilla.
                    Clients can register the ftp:// URI scheme handler so that it launches when you click a hyperlink that points to a FTP resource.

HTTP have a concept of resources. Resources can be downloadable and can be files.
                    Most web servers can be configured to list files in a directory.
                    A REST web application can also give you the directory listing in JSON format.

HTTP verbs
                    • GET - Downloads a resource (i.e a file).
                    • POST - Uploads a resource (i.e a file).
                    • PUT - Updates/modifies/overwrites an existing resource (i.e a file).
                    • DELETE - Deletes a resource (i.e a file).
                    The problem is that HTTP works only with URLs, and with documents at those URLs. While the server can be configured to send dir listings, as far as the client is concerned, that's just a document that happens to contain a bunch of links. There is no file and directory semantics in HTTP, so you can't do things like move a file, copy a file, or list files in a way that's semantically understood by the client, unlike with FTP which can be used in a file manager such as Dolphin.
                    FTP of course has its own problems, and I could see something like SFTP or WebDAV being better.

Comment

Working...
                    X