Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RawTherapee 5.5 Released - Open-Source RAW Image Editor

Phoronix: RawTherapee 5.5 Released - Open-Source RAW Image Editor

Version 5.5 of the RawTherapee open-source RAW image editor that supports Linux, Windows, and macOS is now available for your photo editing needs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Have been using RawTherapee for many years, still my favorite RAW image processor.

I wonder if the new "soft light" and "haze removal" tools are actually that different from just increasing contrast and saturation.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
      Have been using RawTherapee for many years, still my favorite RAW image processor.

I wonder if the new "soft light" and "haze removal" tools are actually that different from just increasing contrast and saturation.
      haze removal commit: https://github.com/Beep6581/RawThera...542e5afc5d583c
      softlight PR: https://github.com/Beep6581/RawTherapee/pull/4499

Both do "a little" bit more than just increase contrast and saturation. Read the commit message/PR description, Especially search for the paper the dehaze tool is based on
      But IMO it doesn't matter if you could achieve it without them, the tools make it significantly easier to enhance the image as you have to deal with just 1 resp. 2 slider(s).

Comment

Any idea how RawTherapee compares to Dark Table?
        I'm currently looking for a new RAW editing solution, but I don't have enough time on my hands to install and compare atm

Comment

I prefer Darktable, but Rawtherapee is very good as well.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Darktable is more similar to Lightroom, which allows you to not only develop your RAW photos but also catalogue your whole library.
            ## VGA ##

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
              I prefer Darktable, but Rawtherapee is very good as well.
              Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
              Darktable is more similar to Lightroom, which allows you to not only develop your RAW photos but also catalogue your whole library.
              Yeah, I did a bit of digging in the meantime and it seems there's no right answer. I think Dark Table is closer to what I need, but I'll most likely won't be able to avoid comparing them myself. My problem is you can't simply fire these up, take a look and decide. You have to spend time with them and see which one you can bend to your will more easily.

And here I am, on a Linux forum, almost complaining because I have a (free) choice

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                And here I am, on a Linux forum, almost complaining because I have a (free) choice
                The awesome manual would be enough to choose darktable for me: https://www.darktable.org/usermanual/en/
                And yes, you definitely need some time to invest.
                ## VGA ##

Comment

Working...
                X