No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.31.3 Released As Another Step Towards GNOME 3.32

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love all these complaints without checking the performance and memory usage (or even details of the change).

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
      32gb for normal operation on an i7
      <whitespace eaten>
      4gb with XFCE for flying performance on an AMD E450 (2 x 1.6ghz). No gjs, no stuttering... and you can use your stuff..
      Are you dweebian-xfce, or his girlfriend, or both? By the way, those aren't candies ... they're anti-psychotics ... but keep taking them

Can you produce a screenshot that demonstrates this alleged monstrous memory consumption? Because I can produce one that proves you're full of shit.

Comment

Well!

Either

*or*

16gb for normal operation on an i9

Alternative!

4gb with XFCE for flying performance on an AMD E450 (2 x 1.6ghz). No gjs, no stuttering... and you can use your stuff..
        Alternative Number 2!

4gb with KDE for good performance on an i5. No JavaScript in the core (with minor exceptions), very little to no stuttering after some VSync patches I made a long time ago, and you can also use your stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by ptomato View Post

Of course it's possible. You can read my blog post on what needs to be done to solve this problem for good: https://ptomato.wordpress.com/2018/1...t-the-garbage/
          That was a great article. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by ptomato View Post
            Hi, I'm the GJS maintainer. There seems to be a mistake in the original post, as that item about GJS was a backport to GNOME 3.28 of something already released in 3.30. It has nothing to do with any GNOME 3.31 release.

Yes, this is the same "big hammer", only being backported to GNOME 3.28. There is no further decrease in performance.

I backported it to 3.28 after feedback from a few large distros (primarily Ubuntu) that they have been running it in their LTS for some time and on the whole it makes the experience better. However, as I explained in the release notes, distros are not obligated to take the update if they prefer not to have it. For more information, read the release notes of GJS 1.52.5 (corresponding to GNOME 3.28): https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gjs/tags/1.52.5

For accurate information about what really went into GJS for GNOME 3.31.3, read the release notes from GJS 1.55.3: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gjs/tags/1.55.3 As you can see it is quite minor.
            Nice to hear this was a mistake. Gnome is delivering some good improvements recently, and this "news" seemed out of place in time. Thanks for clarifying thinks.

Comment

[...]
              debianxfce, is that you???
              Last edited by Vistaus; 13 December 2018, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Memory footprint is easier to fix than their absolutely idiotic UX decisions.

To fix the latter you must switch to MATE, Cinnamon, Budgie, Xfce, literally any other DE is better thought out than GNOME.

Comment

I think GNOME looks pretty.

As far as usability, this tutorial may help if anyone who found GNOME's UX unfamiliar would like to give GNOME another try.
                  Here is also a list of keyboard shortcuts.

The one thing I find missing is that I can't easily switch focus between monitors (in a multi-monitor setup) with the Super key.

I have to ALT + TAB (which doesn't always work), and then Super to choose among that monitor's windows. Trying to split the monitors among separate workspaces does not work naturally (empty workspaces get collapsed, so I can't have monitor i use the i-th workspace; I'd have to put at least something in each workspace).

That Super+Shift+Left/Right lets me move the active screen to the next monitor over is convenient.

Comment

Originally posted by celrod View Post

As far as usability, this tutorial may help if anyone who found GNOME's UX unfamiliar would like to give GNOME another try.

The one thing I find missing is that I can't easily switch focus between monitors (in a multi-monitor setup) with the Super key.

I have to ALT + TAB (which doesn't always work), and then Super to choose among that monitor's windows. Trying to split the monitors among separate workspaces does not work naturally (empty workspaces get collapsed, so I can't have monitor i use the i-th workspace; I'd have to put at least something in each workspace).

That Super+Shift+Left/Right lets me move the active screen to the next monitor over is convenient.
                    GNOME Shell is a flawed desktop paradigm. Just because people can get used to it doesn't mean it's good.

It's a Red Hat-sponsored project meant to give them control over the Linux desktop. It's what a corporate dullard would conceive as a "revolutionary" desktop ready "for the future" and other bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by celrod View Post

It's a different workflow, so people coming from KDE, MATE, Window$, keep complaining while they should simply try it a bit longer.

I used to complain about what I perceived to be a "tablet interface" but after working with it for a while I find it now much more convenient/faster to use that "traditional" ones.

Comment

Working...
                      X