Baloo, Kate & Other KDE Programs Getting Improvements Ahead Of The Holidays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baloo, Kate & Other KDE Programs Getting Improvements Ahead Of The Holidays

Phoronix: Baloo, Kate & Other KDE Programs Getting Improvements Ahead Of The Holidays

KDE developers aren't slowing down at all as the end of the year quickly approaches, this week they had another busy week landing more usability enhancements and other refinements to their slew of applications and Plasma desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As a KDE user, these articles always get me a little excited. I'm really looking forward to some of those, like the Kate context menu. I could have used the rename one last night.

My only real problem with KDE these days is how long it takes to remove a USB drive using the eject button versus sudo umount -- a dumped live iso or copying over a 1.5gb video takes 15 minutes or more for KDE to unmount and seconds for sudo umount (I had two videos take 22 minutes to unmount a week ago).

The other day for work I was 8 minutes into an unmount. I copied 20 10-15mb pictures to a blank exfat USB drive when I decided to just remove the drive, allow it to corrupt, reformat it, recopy the pictures, and unmount from the terminal since all those steps totaled 2 and a half minutes. Since it was work and not personal I couldn't wait and see how long it would take 8 minutes in.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      As a KDE user, these articles always get me a little excited. I'm really looking forward to some of those, like the Kate context menu. I could have used the rename one last night.

My only real problem with KDE these days is how long it takes to remove a USB drive using the eject button versus sudo umount -- a dumped live iso or copying over a 1.5gb video takes 15 minutes or more for KDE to unmount and seconds for sudo umount (I had two videos take 22 minutes to unmount a week ago).

The other day for work I was 8 minutes into an unmount. I copied 20 10-15mb pictures to a blank exfat USB drive when I decided to just remove the drive, allow it to corrupt, reformat it, recopy the pictures, and unmount from the terminal since all those steps totaled 2 and a half minutes. Since it was work and not personal I couldn't wait and see how long it would take 8 minutes in.
      What distro is this? On Kubuntu this is not happening on my devices.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Also not happening here on Solus Plasma.

Comment

I personally don't get such issues. Try turning off async and see if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Antergos KDE; fully up to date.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              I personally don't get such issues. Try turning off async and see if that helps.
              I'll have to give that a try later on today. Thanks for a hint of a starting point.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                How turning off async?

Comment

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed and Leap on Plasma don't do that either.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007 View Post
                    How turning off async?
                    I unfortunately never found a universal approach, but the way I do it (when I feel the need to - I don't use flash drives very often) is to create a mount option for the flash drive in /etc/fstab with the "sync" or "flush" flags enabled. In general, it seems "flush" is better used for flash storage, though I get the impression it still has somewhat of a delay, whereas "sync" is immediate.
                    Depending how your setup is done, you could probably create a udev rule instead, or use a more generic mount path like "/dev/sdb1" rather than the UUID of the flash drive.

Comment

Working...
                    X