Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell In Ubuntu 19.04 Should Be Faster, Ubuntu Devs Still Working On New Installer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Shell In Ubuntu 19.04 Should Be Faster, Ubuntu Devs Still Working On New Installer

Phoronix: GNOME Shell In Ubuntu 19.04 Should Be Faster, Ubuntu Devs Still Working On New Installer

Being more than a month past the Ubuntu 18.10 release, development on Ubuntu 19.04 "Disco Dingo" is progressing at full-speed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael
    SHell

Comment

Originally posted by yurikoles View Post
      Thanks, fixed.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Eh thank god.

I love GNOME but the performance is just ugh. I recently found out the tray icon extensions were one of the reasons my GNOME install was running worse than usual.

Comment

I like GNOME, it is really good! ❤

But the bad thing about GNOME Shell is the Dash which not only is slow, but it covers the whole screen so it is very disturbing and intrusive in workflow as it introduces a context switch in the workflow. Which is why avoid the Dash screen and instead use ArcMenu and Dash-to-panel.
          The Windows 10 approach is much better. Microsoft tried an approach similar to Dash in GNOME Shell in Windows 8 and it was hated and abandoned.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            But the bad thing about GNOME Shell is the Dash which not only is slow, but it covers the whole screen so it is very disturbing and intrusive in workflow as it introduces a context switch in the workflow. Which is why avoid the Dash screen and instead use ArcMenu and Dash-to-panel.
            I prefer dash-to-dock. About arcmenu... I can't find it in extensions.gnome.org, but I suppose it is some kind of application menu. For that I prefer activityAppLauncher, that integrates it inside the Activities.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Microsoft tried an approach similar to Dash in GNOME Shell in Windows 8 and it was hated and abandoned.
              No, similar to macOS Launchpad, which was then copied by GNOME Shell. Yes, macOS was the first desktop OS to introduce a full-screen launcher.

Comment

Originally posted by rastersoft View Post

I prefer dash-to-dock. About arcmenu... I can't find it in extensions.gnome.org, but I suppose it is some kind of application menu. For that I prefer activityAppLauncher, that integrates it inside the Activities.

Comment

a high CPU usage regression since Ubuntu 18.04 is fixed in Ubuntu 19.04 and being back-ported to Ubuntu 18.10
                  Is this fix not necessary to be back-ported to 18.04, which is the LTS?

Comment

A question.. why do we need YET ANOTHER INSTALLER? cant we make the one we have better?

Comment

Working...
                    X