Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Frameworks 5.53 Will Have An Important KIO Performance Fix

Phoronix: KDE Frameworks 5.53 Will Have An Important KIO Performance Fix

With KDE Frameworks 5.53 due out in December there is a significant performance fix in the KIO slaves code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does anyone know if this KiO performance fix affects local host only or also remote hosts ?
    I'm curious if doing some cut / copy - paste operations between local and remote hots or just on remote hosts while browsing through FISH or SFTP protocol is affected by this.

On a bit unrelated issue, I hope somebody will fix this bug that I discovered recently: "Maximized window not closing when you click in the top-right corner".
    In Windows 7 and in Cinnamon, when you have a maximized window, you can close it with you eyes closed just by moving the the pointer to the top-right corner and click.
    Of course, this is one of the advantages of having the taskbar at the bottom of the screen.
    Unfortunately, this doesn't work in KDE plasma, also as a hint that it's not working, the windows close button is not highlighted when you go to the top-right corner like in the other desktops where it's highlighted the same way as you were actually hovering directly on it.

Comment

Still waiting for a maintained KIO fuse mount or similar; so that none klibs applications have access to files via KIO.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        On a bit unrelated issue, I hope somebody will fix this bug that I discovered recently: "Maximized window not closing when you click in the top-right corner".
        This should definitely not be the case in the default window decoration (Breeze). It's a very well-known usability principle and such a bug would never be around for long.

Comment

Does anyone know if this KiO performance fix affects local host only or also remote hosts ?
          I'm curious if doing some cut / copy - paste operations between local and remote hots or just on remote hosts while browsing through FISH or SFTP protocol is affected by this.

In Windows 7 and in Cinnamon, when you have a maximized window, you can close it with you eyes closed just by moving the the pointer to the top-right corner and click.
          Of course, this is one of the advantages of having the taskbar at the bottom of the screen.
          Unfortunately, this doesn't work in KDE plasma, also as a hint that it's not working, the windows close button is not highlighted when you go to the top-right corner like in the other desktops where it's highlighted the same way as you were actually hovering directly on it.
          I've tested this and the window closed without any issue on KDE Plasma Wayland.

Comment

Damn you to hell, I cant believe I fell for that prank. So many tabs opened...

Comment

what is the effect of this improvement?

Comment

Originally posted by Sho_ View Post

This should definitely not be the case in the default window decoration (Breeze). It's a very well-known usability principle and such a bug would never be around for long.
                You are right!

I'm using WindowsK10-dark (Border-size: Normal) since I don't the default window control buttons because they are round and too small for my taste.
                I switched back for testing to Breeze and indeed, you can close the maximized windows by going to top-right corner, even though the tip of the pointer is not on the close button because of its round shape. At least it's highlighted offering feedback that clicking in the corner will be the same as clicking exactly on the close button.

I didn't think the cause of the problem is from the changing of the window decoration from default because I did the same thing in Cinnamon, where I changed the default theme with a Windows XP one and clicking in the corner to close the window was still working.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

I've tested this and the window closed without any issue on KDE Plasma Wayland.
                  Thanks for testing and leaving a reply!
                  It seems that Sho_'s answer led me to find out that the problem comes from the fact that I changed the default window decoration from Breeze to WindowsK10-dark.
                  It's weird that with the round buttons from the default theme it works and with square buttons from this theme it doesn't. I would've expected the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Damn you to hell, I cant believe I fell for that prank. So many tabs opened...
                    Hi,
                    I hope you're joking, if not, I'm sorry!
                    This was not a prank.
                    For me is indeed not working.
                    At least with my current setup:
                    Kubuntu 18.10
                    Default session type (not Wayland)
                    Workspace theme: Breeze Dark
                    Window decoration: WindowsK10-dark (Border size: Normal)
                    Monitor: 4K

Comment

Working...
                    X