Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine 4.0 Release Preparations Begin For Much Improved Windows Games / Apps On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by George99 View Post

Who wants to use Wayland anyway? My experience so far is Wayland is so cumbersome nothing really works well or smooth under Wayland. I think i'll have to stick to X for many more years.
    I want to use Wayland, but the progress is very slow. Besides bugs that plague compositors and lacking features in them, such heavy hitters like Firefox and Wine are still not there yet (Firefox is getting there though).

Comment

Sucks that Wine's impressive progress is always overshadowed by clueless people requesting support for a thing that isn't meant for desktop usage.

Comment

DXVK is a project that started as a hobby (well basically to being able to play), now the project owner has contacts from Mesa and Valve. It tells us something, Linux ecosystem is awesome if you have a drive and knowledge.. even if it's a small thing such as gaming (specific games you want to play).

But it also creates a user-base where people complain and/or critic (this is in no means a bad thing, a complaint could mean a possible improvement in the future). Since these projects (Wayland, Wine) are open source.. maybe it's time to research to see what angle there is to input the support yourself. Maybe a theory is needed to let the in-house developers to start the support.. at least then something has started.

Me I'm a lazy man myself, but boy am I grateful for the Linux Ecosystem...

Comment

Originally posted by awesz View Post
          Sucks that Wine's impressive progress is always overshadowed by clueless people requesting support for a thing that isn't meant for desktop usage.
          It's unbelievable how many toxic people keep insulting others on forums... So we are "clueless" because we want wayland support? I am tired of this, sometimes i wish Michael would grab his banhammer. I am tired of getting called "idiot" "moron" and other stuff on every thread....

By the way, there is no impressive progress of WINE this year. All they did was support Vulkan mostly. DXVK was the thing that made it look better than it was. If anything, WINE has been moving at a glacial pace for years. Nothing to cheer about.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

It's unbelievable how many toxic people keep insulting others on forums... So we are "clueless" because we want wayland support? I am tired of this, sometimes i wish Michael would grab his banhammer. I am tired of getting called "idiot" "moron" and other stuff on every thread....

By the way, there is no impressive progress of WINE this year. All they did was support Vulkan mostly. DXVK was the thing that made it look better than it was. If anything, WINE has been moving at a glacial pace for years. Nothing to cheer about.
            Imagine being this easily offended, but yes, you are clueless if you don't know or refuse to acknowledge the particularities, or might some say, hidden intentions behind the whole idea around Wayland and other "standardization" *cough* projects.

In fact, Wine did progress greatly this year as it always has. You can believe otherwise, but it won't change reality.

Comment

hidden intentions behind the whole idea around Wayland and other "standardization" *cough* projects.
              What's the intention of those who are against it? Just retrograde thinking? The need for Wayland was explained so many times, that those who don't know what it is, should better go and look it up before even discussing it, to avoid wasting everyone's time.

The problem however is in coordination of efforts between compositors. Lot's of stuff is very chaotic. Wayland ecosystem seriously needs more collaboration to reduce all the unnecessary work duplication. A glaring example is configuration for libinput. Everyone runs to invent their own way to do it. Why not make it a common method?
              Last edited by shmerl; 25 November 2018, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

What's the intention of those who are against it? Just retrograde thinking?
                Absolutely not. Those who are against, or don't just blindly accept it have realized that Wayland isn't a direct replacement for X neither it is suitable for the Linux desktop, with its multitude of window managers, without a single implementation to build upon.

Comment

Absolutely not. Those who are against, or don't just blindly accept it have realized that Wayland isn't a direct replacement for X neither it is suitable for the Linux desktop, with its multitude of window managers, without a single implementation to build upon.
                  It's not a drop in replacement for X indeed. It's still needed. Making it work is the goal, not sticking to X.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

It's not a drop in replacement for X indeed. It's still needed. Making it work is the goal, not sticking to X.
                    It is needed as much as X12/Xorg 2.x, but I feel we're derailing from the Wine subject.
                    Last edited by awesz; 25 November 2018, 04:04 PM.

Comment

It is needed as much as X12/Xorg 2.x, but I feel we're derailing from the Wine subject.
                      Sure, let's not delve into why it's needed and why X12 isn't coming. If you want details, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWQh_DmDLKQ

Comment

Working...
                      X