Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine 4.0 Release Preparations Begin For Much Improved Windows Games / Apps On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 4.0 Release Preparations Begin For Much Improved Windows Games / Apps On Linux

Phoronix: Wine 4.0 Release Preparations Begin For Much Improved Windows Games / Apps On Linux

Wine founder and lead developer Alexandre Julliard has laid out the release plans around the upcoming Wine 4.0 stable release for delivering a year's worth of improvements for running Windows games/applications on Linux, BSDs, and macOS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

4.0 is going to be a good release but i am a little sad no real progress towards Wayland support was made. Not to mention no vaapi support either (though you can enable it in staging). I hope WINE devs have some plans for both for the 5.0 release.

Comment

I glad to hear Wine is jumping up to 4.0. It feels like the development boots up much recently. What happened to them? Just because Valve started supporting Wine?

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
        4.0 is going to be a good release but i am a little sad no real progress towards Wayland support was made. Not to mention no vaapi support either (though you can enable it in staging). I hope WINE devs have some plans for both for the 5.0 release.
        I think the progress this year has been amazing, so while there's a long list of things on the todo list I'm more optimistic about Wine now than I ever have been before.

Comment

Unfortunately, Wine requires some features that Wayland does not allow by design. I recommend you read this comment. If the wine developers were to implement Wayland support, you would probably have to use the virtual desktop. With that being said, I do wonder if the Wine devs can successfully communicate with the various compositing window managers and implement a Wine on Wayland interface (similar to X on Wayland).

Comment

No one should complain about what wine has acomplished

EDIT: anyways, I think Wayland can handle X windows, cant it?

Comment

dxvk was the biggest achievement this year IMHO in Wine ecosystem.

Originally posted by CuriousTommy View Post
              If the wine developers were to implement Wayland support, you would probably have to use the virtual desktop. With that being said, I do wonder if the Wine devs can successfully communicate with the various compositing window managers and implement a Wine on Wayland interface (similar to X on Wayland).

I don't mind if they'll use a virtual desktop. Especially since it doesn't matter for games. It matters more for windowed applications.

Comment

sad no real progress towards Wayland support
                Who wants to use Wayland anyway? My experience so far is Wayland is so cumbersome nothing really works well or smooth under Wayland. I think i'll have to stick to X for many more years.

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post
                  Who wants to use Wayland anyway? My experience so far is Wayland is so cumbersome nothing really works well or smooth under Wayland. I think i'll have to stick to X for many more years.
                  Wayland is good enough that Linux distributions are starting to ship with it by default, and X security is somewhat of a ████show. It's even more of one now when contrasted with all the security improvements elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post

This is such a bs, why blame the Wayland Protocol when the implementations just curerently suck..

Comment

Working...
                    X