Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine 4.0 Release Preparations Begin For Much Improved Windows Games / Apps On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wine 4.0 Release Preparations Begin For Much Improved Windows Games / Apps On Linux

    Phoronix: Wine 4.0 Release Preparations Begin For Much Improved Windows Games / Apps On Linux

    Wine founder and lead developer Alexandre Julliard has laid out the release plans around the upcoming Wine 4.0 stable release for delivering a year's worth of improvements for running Windows games/applications on Linux, BSDs, and macOS...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...0-Release-Plan

  • #2
    4.0 is going to be a good release but i am a little sad no real progress towards Wayland support was made. Not to mention no vaapi support either (though you can enable it in staging). I hope WINE devs have some plans for both for the 5.0 release.

    Comment


    • #3
      I glad to hear Wine is jumping up to 4.0. It feels like the development boots up much recently. What happened to them? Just because Valve started supporting Wine?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
        4.0 is going to be a good release but i am a little sad no real progress towards Wayland support was made. Not to mention no vaapi support either (though you can enable it in staging). I hope WINE devs have some plans for both for the 5.0 release.
        I think the progress this year has been amazing, so while there's a long list of things on the todo list I'm more optimistic about Wine now than I ever have been before.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
          4.0 is going to be a good release but i am a little sad no real progress towards Wayland support was made. Not to mention no vaapi support either (though you can enable it in staging). I hope WINE devs have some plans for both for the 5.0 release.
          Unfortunately, Wine requires some features that Wayland does not allow by design. I recommend you read this comment. If the wine developers were to implement Wayland support, you would probably have to use the virtual desktop. With that being said, I do wonder if the Wine devs can successfully communicate with the various compositing window managers and implement a Wine on Wayland interface (similar to X on Wayland).

          Comment


          • #6
            No one should complain about what wine has acomplished

            EDIT: anyways, I think Wayland can handle X windows, cant it?

            Comment


            • #7
              dxvk was the biggest achievement this year IMHO in Wine ecosystem.

              Originally posted by CuriousTommy View Post
              If the wine developers were to implement Wayland support, you would probably have to use the virtual desktop. With that being said, I do wonder if the Wine devs can successfully communicate with the various compositing window managers and implement a Wine on Wayland interface (similar to X on Wayland).

              I don't mind if they'll use a virtual desktop. Especially since it doesn't matter for games. It matters more for windowed applications.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                sad no real progress towards Wayland support
                Who wants to use Wayland anyway? My experience so far is Wayland is so cumbersome nothing really works well or smooth under Wayland. I think i'll have to stick to X for many more years.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by George99 View Post
                  Who wants to use Wayland anyway? My experience so far is Wayland is so cumbersome nothing really works well or smooth under Wayland. I think i'll have to stick to X for many more years.
                  Wayland is good enough that Linux distributions are starting to ship with it by default, and X security is somewhat of a ████show. It's even more of one now when contrasted with all the security improvements elsewhere.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by George99 View Post

                    Who wants to use Wayland anyway? My experience so far is Wayland is so cumbersome nothing really works well or smooth under Wayland. I think i'll have to stick to X for many more years.
                    This is such a bs, why blame the Wayland Protocol when the implementations just curerently suck..

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X