No announcement yet.

Unite Shell: Making GNOME Shell More Like Ubuntu's Unity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gnome 3 extensions are basically what Firefox extensions used to be before Web Extensions. Monkey patching the code so they might or might not work on the next version. I kind of hope that when Gnome developers choose to create Gnome 4 they will develop some kind of extension API that is stable enough. Of course that is more effort for them so we'll see what they choose to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

I never understood the market for gnome-flashback... doesn't MATE fill that need?

EDIT: Or maybe I just misunderstood a sarcastic joke.
      Why install MATE when i can have gnome flashback? Besides i'm better not screw up familys desktop environments :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Flaburgan View Post
        I still use Unity7 on Ubuntu 18.04. The dash, hud and keyboard shortcuts are so much better.
        how have you installed it?

Comment

Originally posted by Etherman View Post
          Why install MATE when i can have gnome flashback? Besides i'm better not screw up familys desktop environments :-)
          I see it the other way round. Why tinker with "gnome flashback" when I can just use MATE instead?

Comment

I was never a gnome nor a unity fan, but I see a striking similarity between these unity folks and militant soybean vegans: "It looks like unity but it is gnome" -- "It looks like meat but it is horseradish"

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post

how have you installed it?
              It is still in the depots. Sudo apt install unity. And Sudo apt install lightdm if you want to replace gdm too. Then you can choose which DE to start on login screen.

Comment

The package is in fact `ubuntu-unity-desktop`. If you want to clean up your install of gnome:

sudo apt autoremove --purge "gnome*"
                sudo apt install ubuntu-unity-desktop

Comment

Always liked the Unity "theme" but *never* found any use for Scopes and Lenses and all of that.

Also... I'm a mouse user. I don't use the keyboard to navigate, just to type words. it's definitely easier to navigate around default Gnome Shell with the keyboard than a mouse, and Unity comes close but, happily, didn't fall victim to that top left hot corner business.

Gnome Shell ought to add an option to opt out of the top left hot corner and expose the Dash like a standard dock.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    To be fair, what he says is not really breaking news anyway.

The sky is falling since GNOME 3 began.
                    So don't use it. That's what a well-balanced person would do. It takes someone with mental health issues to come and wipe their ass on news stories for a desktop environment they don't like.

Comment

Unity nostalgics: Come to Plasma

Comment

Working...
                      X