Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LibreOffice 6.2 Branched, The Beta Dance Begins & x86 32-bit Builds Are Deprecated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LibreOffice 6.2 Branched, The Beta Dance Begins & x86 32-bit Builds Are Deprecated

    Phoronix: LibreOffice 6.2 Branched, The Beta Dance Begins & x86 32-bit Builds Are Deprecated

    LibreOffice 6.2 was branched from master this weekend and the first beta release tagged for this open-source, cross-platform office suite...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ice-6.2-Beta-1

  • #2
    I can see that affecting more Windows users. In Linux, machines incapable of 64 bit tend to be too weak for LO, so distros tend to push lightweight solutions instead of LO, like what we see on Raspbian on a RPi. Windows on the other hand do not let you to switch freely from 32 to 64 bit versions, so you are stuck with what came with the machine.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      I can see that affecting more Windows users.
      It seems they only drop 32bit Linux builds not Windows ones.

      Comment


      • #4
        Linux x86 (32-bit) releases are deprecated. Starting with a future version (to be announced), there will be no Linux x86 builds produced by TDF. This does not mean that Linux x86 compatibility will be removed.
        That is OKet, interested distros will build them. Debian builds LO on 10+ architectures anyway

        Say demote instead of deprecate there. That is something opposite of promote
        Last edited by dungeon; 11-18-2018, 09:31 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          so distros tend to push lightweight solutions instead of LO, like what we see on Raspbian on a RPi.
          Actually raspbian is shipped with LO, outdated version coz is based on debian stable, but you can install 6.1.x swapping to the testing branch

          Comment


          • #6
            Which piece of LibreOffice do you tend to use the most? or find the most value in?

            I probably use LibreOffice sheets the most, but I think LibreOffice feels not so modern. Maybe Excel is easier and more intuitive, I don't know know.

            Comment


            • #7
              Sorry I just see they remove LO from the new releases

              Comment


              • #8
                Writer and Calc. I don't care for the "modern" look as it doesn't affect my writing abilities. I am, however, excited about the welding effort since it will make Libreoffice feel more and more like a native GTK+ application as time progresses.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Which piece of LibreOffice do you tend to use the most? or find the most value in?

                  I probably use LibreOffice sheets the most, but I think LibreOffice feels not so modern. Maybe Excel is easier and more intuitive, I don't know know.
                  Speaking about modern, LibreOffice provides a variety of user interface. Wish to try them, Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Optional Features -> Check Enable experimental features.
                  Should you have OpenCL installed, Tools -> OpenCL -> Allow use of OpenCL.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                    I can see that affecting more Windows users. In Linux, machines incapable of 64 bit tend to be too weak for LO, so distros tend to push lightweight solutions instead of LO, like what we see on Raspbian on a RPi. Windows on the other hand do not let you to switch freely from 32 to 64 bit versions, so you are stuck with what came with the machine.
                    Uh... you can just download and install a new build. I mean you may have to uninstall and reinstall but it works fine.

                    The reason I use 32-bit on Windows is the reduced space and memory usage. For something I only use occasionally it's really not worth soaking up another ~50MB of SSD with it, downloading the extra bytes on updates, installing them, etc. Bobcat doesn't have huge caches either, so I imagine the code size might outweigh any performance benefits.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X