No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma, Dolphin & Discover Pick Up More Features Ahead Of The Holidays

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish Dolphin could show also the octal permissions column besides the normal one.
    I don't know about the others, but I find easier to read octal permissions in a list of files and folders than the other ones.

For example, today at work I had to debug why some users cannot change their profile pictures on the main site that we have.
    in the terminal I already made an alias for ls -l to show also the octal permissions like:
    alias lo="ls -lah --color | awk '{k=0;for(i=0;i<=8;i++)k+=((substr(\$1,i+2,1)~/[rwx]/)*2^(8-i));if(k)printf(" %0o ",k);print}'"
    I used that to scroll down to the entire list of files to see which ones have different permissions so that they cannot be overwritten.
    That is good, but I also have setted up dolphin to connect to the server over ssh with FISH protocol to browse the files.
    The only problem is that it's very hard while scrolling down fast the list to spot the ones with different permissions when the the permissions column shows the normal format instead of the octal.
    So for now, I have to use the terminal when I have to debug fast this kind of problems with permissions.
    I hope in the future this option could be added too to Dolphin. Maybe right-clicking on the permissions column will allow you to choose which format you want like in Ksysguard where I can choose the memory usage to be displayed in Megabytes instead of other units.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      I wish Dolphin could show also the octal permissions column besides the normal one.
      I don't know about the others, but I find easier to read octal permissions in a list of files and folders than the other ones.
      https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=374048

Comment

Thanks Nate!
        I didn't know that a similar feature request has already been made.
        For my use case I wanted to see the permissions column in octal instead of the default format, but yes, seeing the octal format in permissions tab of file properties window would be nice too.
        Hopefully somebody can added one day.

Comment

Working...
        X