Outreachy Announces Its Winter 2018 Interns To Work On The Linux Kernel, GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
    Are you for real? Who has been discriminated against because of "sex, skin colour, or cultural identity"?
    It is very sad you would admit to holding such thoughts, let alone proclaim them so proudly in a public and publicly archived forum.

Comment

bregma i was not referring to the responsibility organizations have to use their money to fulfil their missions, i have not stopped to think outreachy's implications regarding that , but if
      the program is not to encourage contributions to free software
      is true then gnome likely fails in that regard too .

Rather i meant that people have the right not to be discriminated regarding characteristics not related to their merit . As far i can tell this is enforced at both the federal ( title 7 of the civil rights act of 1964 ) and state levels ( california fair housing and employment act of 1959 ) and whether they are or not it is does not hold water in whether what i described is an ethically valid principle .
      Last edited by GunpowaderGuy; 17 November 2018, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Redfoxmoon i was going to say that because of the same reason copyright and patent principles are all but dead in the usa , that the country relies heavily on case law , but after searching for it i came clear on cases that might legitimized programs such as outreachy

Comment

uid313 any particular reason you no longer contribute to wikimedia ? , i was planning to start doing so myself

Comment

It would be more appropriate to have an outreach program for people from low income backgrounds who could not afford a college education, for instance, rather than to create a program with racial or gender qualifiers, something we should move away from. If people want to become involved in a project or to get into programming, they should, regardless of what their background, pedigree, or identity is. There should be no barriers to doing so. We should not give special benefits to any group, based on their pedigree, background, gender, ethnicity, etc. And, outreachy is giving such benefits, and it is quite frankly no different than what they claim to be against, racial discrimination. Thats technically exactly what it is, to confer a benefit based on ethnicity or gender which is not available to others because of their ethnicity or gender.

Make it income/means qualified. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
              Instead of the same old tired comments on Outreachy itself, could you folks comment on the items being worked on, and maybe give other suggestions for good intern projects on GNOME or Linux? That would be an interesting conversation..
              Well, while I don't agree that all of the comments are tired, and I think that being committed to not hearing those opinions is kinda silly but...

...to your point:
              > Improve the "git bisect" command
              seems pretty ambiguous.
              I mean, there's probably not much better than binary search here, so I imagine they're talking about some sort of batching or automation improvement, but seems a bit open-ended. And maybe that's not a bad thing! :- )

It seems like there are no proposals here for core issues with GNOME, such as the performance of the shell (which barely hits 60fps on standard resolutions, running on modern GPUs, last I checked). I don't use GNOME anymore, and I don't suggest that other people use it, in large part because the performance and interactivity issues are so pervasive, and it turns out most people don't realize how important those issues are until they actually try to use it, and feel viscerally frustrated.

As for my tired-old-comment:
              1. A stipend program which discriminates on irrelevant characteristics is a waste of money if your primary goal is to succeed technically.
              2. Just going along with it perpetuates what I see as a false and insulting judgement of my peers: that somehow it just never occurred to them to treat minorities well, and that the differences in representation are primarily a result of this moral failing. I am not a bigot, nor do I judge patches based on the immutable characteristics of their author (if I even cared to find out what those characteristics are), and I feel that defenders of programs like this tend to lean on judgemental insinuation like this in order to get compliance (few people have the stomach to be accused of being a bigot) with what I'm sure they believe is a perfectly moral cause.
              Last edited by microcode; 17 November 2018, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                I LOVE all the Gnome hate. It just means that yet another Distribution in the near future will deprecate KDE and make Gnome the default DE. Please keep up Gnome haters! LOL!!!
                I don't really see how you could represent disagreement with Outreachy's criteria to be "GNOME hate". I don't hate GNOME, when it was at the top of its game, I recommended it to everyone who wanted to try desktop Linux, I have met and enjoyed conversations with lots of GNOME contributors (both employed and independent), and I think I have at least one commit somewhere in something GNOME. I like a lot of GNOME, just not really fond of attempting to solve some perceived injustice by hiring people to do what others will do for free.

Comment

Originally posted by onicsis View Post
                  Level of brainwashing in developed world is at an astonishing level.
                  Well, it's not just the brainwashing. In the developed world, women have rights and earning potential, so even fewer women are forced by circumstance go into engineering disciplines rather than their preferred lines of work. When you combine the superficial statistics with an ideology which seeks to explain it all so simply, you get this absolute powder keg of hysteria and self-flagellation.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

Well, it's not just the brainwashing. In the developed world, women have rights and earning potential, so even fewer women are forced by circumstance go into engineering disciplines rather than their preferred lines of work. When you combine the superficial statistics with an ideology which seeks to explain it all so simply, you get this absolute powder keg of hysteria and self-flagellation.
                    Take it a step further, women have MORE rights than men.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
                      But diversity doesn't come naturally.
                      I take it you're not a huge fan of Charles Darwin then? Evolution is a consequence of both random mutation and natural selection combined.

What these "diversity" programs are doing is essentially trying to selectively breed humans to fit the ideals of the author. This has been tried before, in fact it was the pet project of a certain dictator not too long ago.

Free will should be rewarded, not punished. If that means men and women will tend to different areas of interest then so be it.

Comment

Working...
                      X