• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Cue complaints from "cries", yet again.
    Cue multiple levels of metawhining.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I cannot support this, and I cannot donate to the GNOME Foundation.
      What other projects did you donate to within the last year?

Comment

Level of brainwashing in developed world is at an astonishing level.

Comment

Originally posted by dstaubsauger View Post

What other projects did you donate to within the last year?
          Within the last year? Honestly, none.
          Previously Mozilla Firefox, GIMP and Wikimedia.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post

You may not be aware, but the program is not to encourage contributions to free software. It is to leverage contributions to free software to create avenues of access to careers in software development for people who have traditionally been discriminated against, discouraged, and forbidden from having such access due to characteristics such as sex, skin colour, or cultural identity.

To argue that a generally welcoming and accepting culture like that in the free software development community should not be using its gifts to help those who have felt the consequences of not being gifted with certain tangible or intangible characteristics because it's a welcoming and accepting culture seems to miss the bit where you derive a conclusion from the premises.
            Are you for real? Who has been discriminated against because of "sex, skin colour, or cultural identity"? The last time I checked most of the IT jobs ended up being out sourced to India.

People like you act like there's some kind of massive conspiracy where all white guys got together and decided to block every other group from certain fields.

Would you also support programs that only financially benefit white men as a way of enticing them into fields, such as nursing, where white men are a very small minority? We both know the answer to that.

I can tell you one think, I will never use Gnome ever again; in fact, even though I switched to Mate years ago, the fact that Mate is based on the old Gnome 2 code base, I intend to stop using Mate as well as soon as I get home. I think I'll switch to KDE or Deepin or Budgie.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
              People like you act like there's some kind of massive conspiracy where all white guys got together and decided to block every other group from certain fields.
              Racism isn't a thing? Ok.

Would you also support programs that only financially benefit white men as a way of enticing them into fields, such as nursing, where white men are a very small minority? We both know the answer to that.
              Nursing is financially lucrative? News to me.

Comment

I'm glad Outreachy exists. I'm glad because I can visit their site and see definitively who the traitors to this industry are. The companies who push for hiring based on ANYTHING but merit. And I can see the people hired, the fuckups who get jobs based solely on physical traits. I can all but guarantee these people and their "allies" will never work at any company I'm at.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                  Nursing is financially lucrative? News to me.
                  What rock have you been living under? In the NY/NJ/Penn area, nurses earn on average of $45 to $55 per hour, base pay. In the hospital I used to work at, they earned $45/hr base plus a 10% shift differential if they worked the second shift (instead of the first), another 5% if they worked the overnight shift, another 10% weekend pay shift differential, time and a half on top of the shift differential for overtime, if they came in on their day off they received either 1 or 2 days additional PTO on top of what they earned every paycheck, tuition reimbursement, PTO, sick days, we had nurses that drove to work in AMG M/B's. There was also a 10% shift differential if a nurse assigned "charge nurse" duties that shift, which was assigned on a "round robin" basis.

I don't know about other parts of the country, but in this part of the country, nurses, medical technologists, MRI techs and the like make great money.

Comment

What rock have you been living under? In the NY/NJ/Penn area, nurses earn on average of $45 to $55 per hour, base pay. In the hospital I used to work at, they earned $45/hr base plus a 10% shift differential if they worked the second shift (instead of the first), another 5% if they worked the overnight shift, another 10% weekend pay shift differential, time and a half on top of the shift differential for overtime, if they came in on their day off they received either 1 or 2 days additional PTO on top of what they earned every paycheck, tuition reimbursement, PTO, sick days, we had nurses that drove to work in AMG M/B's. There was also a 10% shift differential if a nurse assigned "charge nurse" duties that shift, which was assigned on a "round robin" basis.

I don't know about other parts of the country, but in this part of the country, nurses, medical technologists, MRI techs and the like make great money.
                    And how much do the doctors earn? Is that profession overly subscribed with females?

NY is a pretty expensive city to live in, they probably have to pay that otherwise they wouldn't get anybody. And you're only talking about nurses in hospitals, there's more to nursing than that. I wonder how much nurses in elderly care homes get paid for example.

I don't know about other parts of the country, but in this part of the country...
                    You're on the internet, it's a global network. Countries outside the US exist you know. I know, I'm in one.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post

And how much do the doctors earn? Is that profession overly subscribed with females?
                      In my Alma mater, females are the majority in the medicine faculty, yes. I would not bet it is the same amongst the prestigious medical specializations though. On a larger scale, they are indeed over-represented in the bullshŸt fields. But medicine is serious. In engineering we are at 30% and going up. Sciences less but it is improving. Keep in mind fields such as engineering and even worse science are small worlds with few students so any discrepancies are magnified by the small sample sizes.

My freshman maths and rational mechanics professors were women and were very respected. Some of the older female alumni have sometimes weird and vaguely mysogynous stories to tell. But none of those i discussed with were demanding of any sort of reverse discrimination. They wanted to be recognised for their work. And as far as i know, succeeded.

We do not have stuff like outreachy where i live.

Late edit: And it would be shot down by the courts. You cannot discriminate based on gender or "ethnicity" save a few exceptions: rabbis stripteasers, actors, etc... On the informal side, there is unfortunately job discrimination.
                      Last edited by Dedale; 18 November 2018, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X