GNOME 3.31.2 Desktop Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I have a 2018 Lenovo ThinkPad L380 Yoga with Intel i5, 8 GB of RAM and a fast SSD, yet GNOME runs like crap. Is my hardware recent and proper enough for ya?
    Which distribution are you using?

Comment

Starting Gnome from SSD takes hell lot time, like old days starting from mechanical HD. I don't like this Old School. They probs think that whatever, who cares.

Comment

Originally posted by halo9en View Post

My laptops are intel graphics only and not even too recent - here Gnome works perfectly. Maybe Windows is better for you.
        Please tell us your hardware specs so we can buy better computers in the future. And that's terrible advice, I use MATE.

Edit: my system has:

Intel i3-5005u 2.0 Ghz
        Intel HD Graphics 5500
        8 GB RAM (average mem usage around 2 GB, 6 GB free/cached)
        Kingston A400 SSD

KDE runs as smooth as Windows. MATE, Xfce, Pantheon, everything but GNOME runs smooth.
        Last edited by alqm; 17 November 2018, 05:15 PM. Reason: added my hardware specs

Comment

For me, Gnome Shell on Ubuntu 18.04LTS is working well. I still much prefer Unity for its window management and keyboard controls and some other reasons, but Gnome Shell is smooth and stable. Sure, it uses 850MB RAM, but that's not an issue for me.

My system is a
          Asrock Z270M-itx/ac motherboard with
          Intel Core i7-7700 CPU.
          32GB of some fast RAM.

I only use the on-chip Intel graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by alqm View Post

+1
            What kind of hardware can run GNOME smoothly?
            I've tried 3 different modern Intel graphics computers and all run GNOME poorly. I wonder what hardware can run it. AMD? NVIDIA? An i7-latest generation only? Because Intel graphics can't.
            Works fine on very old systems with integrated Intel GPUs here. You're not very good at what you're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
              They probs think that whatever, who cares.
              That's the proper approach to trolls.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
                No offense people! But you don't expect GNOME to run like a dream on your ancient systems - do you ?
                Not only do I expect it, but it happens. I have lots of old hardware around - like 5-10 year-old stuff, with integrated Intel GPUs, and it runs fine. I suspect there are 2 problems:

1) You're shit at Linux.
                2) You're a shit troll.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
                  2) You're a shit troll.
                  I invite every reader to click on dkasak's profile (click on the name). You'll get an idea about his wording towards other members and users of Phoronix. Poor creature.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
                    I bolded the two problems of your setup. Try at least i7 and 32gb RAM.
                    Lolwut? But you were talking about ancient systems. A 2018 laptop like mine with a 2017 i5 and 8GB of RAM (2x 4 GB dual-channel, btw) is far from ancient.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Which distribution are you using?
                      Solus.

Comment

Working...
                      X