GNOME 3.31.2 Desktop Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alqm View Post
    What kind of hardware can run GNOME smoothly?
    I've tried 3 different modern Intel graphics computers and all run GNOME poorly. I wonder what hardware can run it. AMD? NVIDIA? An i7-latest generation only? Because Intel graphics can't.
    My laptops are intel graphics only and not even too recent - here Gnome works perfectly. Maybe Windows is better for you.

Comment

No offense people! But you don't expect GNOME to run like a dream on your ancient systems - do you ?
      New Hardware is cheap these days. Make sure to get a proper CPU, RAM and SSD.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

And is it totally rewritten in Rust?
        Does it run on Redox? Under RISC-V on a container?

Erm, I think not really, but there is some progress: https://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n...idding-Old-X11
        Can't you force-disable XWayland somehow, with a compiler flag or something? Yes, I know the experience would be far less good, but just out of curiosity, I'm wondering if it's possible at all to force-disable XWayland.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Don't really care so much for Rust in application software. Its more interesting in interpreters, parsers, and decoders.

Don't care so much for RISC-V on application software either (though it would be cool if Android had support for RISC-V), I find RISC-V support to be most interesting in toolchain, GCC, Android Things, Python and maybe .NET Core, things you would use for IoT.
          You missed the point he was trying to make.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
            No offense people! But you don't expect GNOME to run like a dream on your ancient systems - do you ?
            New Hardware is cheap these days. Make sure to get a proper CPU, RAM and SSD.
            I have a 2018 Lenovo ThinkPad L380 Yoga with Intel i5, 8 GB of RAM and a fast SSD, yet GNOME runs like crap. Is my hardware recent and proper enough for ya?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
              Intel i5, 8 GB of RAM
              I bolded the two problems of your setup. Try at least i7 and 32gb RAM.

Comment

Apart from nautilus reaching 300MB after two days, my tweaked/patched Gnome installation is very polished at the moment. Gnome-shell doesn't use much memory anymore.

Comment

I qouted the problem of why the Linux Desktop wont ever not-suck and be forever stuck in the denial phase. Any 200€ Atom system running Windows will run cycles around even such a system when it comes to responsiveness.

Comment

No need. I had a 2GB Ram Core Duo Laptop running smooth. The issue is mainly a possible misconfiguration from application or daemon.

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
                      The performance optimisations are about the most important thing for Gnome now i think.
                      I love using gnome, but the performance is just not very good. Lots of stuttering and a high memory consumption.
                      Would you provide your hardware information and which distribution are you using?
                      Would you also provide a the memory status from either Gnome Monitor or Gnome Usage?
                      Running Gnome Shell from Fedora 29 on HP Envy x360 2500U is actually smooth experience.

Comment

Working...
                      X