Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VirtualBox 6.0 Beta 2 Adds File Manager For Host/Guest File Copies, OS/2 Shared Folder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VirtualBox 6.0 Beta 2 Adds File Manager For Host/Guest File Copies, OS/2 Shared Folder

Phoronix: VirtualBox 6.0 Beta 2 Adds File Manager For Host/Guest File Copies, OS/2 Shared Folder

Last month Oracle rolled out the public beta of VirtualBox 6.0 though didn't include many user-facing changes. They have now rolled out a second beta that does add in a few more features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo: "Solaris isntaller fixes"

Will shared folders finally show up as removable disks in Linux guest VMs? If so, that would be a great timesaver...that would allow any GUI interface that supports it to detect them and offer the option to mount them without needing to use the Terminal.

Comment

For my consumer needs, I simply rely on file transfer via network bridge + SMB shares. No hassle with any guest extensions etc

Comment

I quit as typo reporter for the day. I can't stop misssing.

Comment

I mean who is using OS/2?

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            I quit as typo reporter for the day. I can't stop misssing.

Comment

Would be really nice if KVM guests had similar feature to shared folders for exchanging data with the host :\ Not quite sure why VirtualBox and VMWare are able to have that and KVM is missing such a feature? Is it because there is less demand for it since KVM is typically used for a different demographic?

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
                Would be really nice if KVM guests had similar feature to shared folders for exchanging data with the host :\ Not quite sure why VirtualBox and VMWare are able to have that and KVM is missing such a feature? Is it because there is less demand for it since KVM is typically used for a different demographic?
                There is a similar feature, but IMHO it is poorly documented, and if you use virt-manager or a recent samba in your machiche, it is a little hacky. The syntax is

qemu <other options> -net nic,model=rtl8139 -net user,smb=/home/username/shareddirname

Be aware that if you use a recent samba (samba 4.x), you will have to do something so that the smbd daemon executes with the same user as the qemu instance, and there can be problems with the umask of the created directories in the shared folders depending on your configuration.

That said, I've managed to have it working between a Debian Jessie host (samba 4.2) with virt-manager and kvm and a XP virtual machine. But I did have to substitute the smbd executable with a wrapper that changes the /tmp/qemu-smb.* generated by qemu prior to launching the real smbd and hand-editing the vm configuration with virsh so that it calls qemu with the proper parameters.

Long story short, compared to VirtualBox it is a nightmare.

If you're interested, I can post (here?) more precise instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  I mean who is using OS/2?
                  Good question, I don't understand me neither. Version 4.52 was released on November 2001, and OS/2 is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Xorg View Post
                    Good question, I don't understand me neither. Version 4.52 was released on November 2001, and OS/2 is dead.
                    Someone must have asked for it. There is some market for OS/2 even now, as without it, ArcaOS would not be in business. ArcaOS is a licensed re-release of OS/2 4.52 with updated drivers (...) so that it works in recent computers.

Last mention of ArcaOS in phoronix: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...Blue-Lion-Beta

And they're still pushing updates to their OS, so they are alive: https://www.arcanoae.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X