GNOME's Mutter Finally Gets Meson Build System Support, Other Cleanups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Mutter Finally Gets Meson Build System Support, Other Cleanups

Phoronix: GNOME's Mutter Finally Gets Meson Build System Support, Other Cleanups

GNOME's Mutter window manager / compositor picked up Meson build system support today and in the process received various clean-ups like dropping OpenGL ES 1.x support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is Gnome Shell 3.30 works in QEMU with QXL GPU for you? I mean not quick few minutes test run, but continuous work for hours. For me rendering get stuck pretty quickly, at least in Ubuntu 18.10 (with vanilla session and disabled animations, both of Wayland and X11) VM on Ubuntu Server 18.10, but I remember this issue was there with Ubuntu 17.10 on Ubuntu Server 17.10.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
      Is Gnome Shell 3.30 works in QEMU with QXL GPU for you? I mean not quick few minutes test run, but continuous work for hours. For me rendering get stuck pretty quickly, at least in Ubuntu 18.10 (with vanilla session and disabled animations, both of Wayland and X11) VM on Ubuntu Server 18.10, but I remember this issue was there with Ubuntu 17.10 on Ubuntu Server 17.10.
      Yes it does on Fedora 29. Even better, Gnome Boxes does handle the tasks well using QEMU backend and thanks to its ability to download and virtualize distributions. It sounds like the issue is specific to Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
        For me rendering get stuck pretty quickly [...]
        Try upgrading to 64gb Ram. It's known best, that Gnome-Shell requires the first 32gb Ram on its own.

Comment

Not if you know what you are doing
          Before restarting 25 hours ago for a kernel update, I had a 12 days session where it only reached 590MB. 120MB of those were due to nvidia driver caching Xorg data in the compositor.
          On mesa drivers, those should have technically been ~500MB.
          To get accurate numbers, I ran "swapoff -a" before taking the readings.

Yes, 590MB is a lot but it's not a handicap at 16GB ram (16GB is not much these days).
          Last edited by Guest; 07 November 2018, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hussam View Post
            Yes, 590MB is a lot but [...]
            Strange! They recently announced that they tracked down a huge memory leark. Therefore I believed, that it will stay at 32gb constant ram usage now. I mean, it's not doing anything the gnome shell that is. Therefore 32gb sounds quite reasonable for a constant value for something that doesn't get into your way and basicly does nothing than idle.

Comment

32GB would be a specific leak.
              In any case, it was more or less constant after a week here.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post

Try upgrading to 64gb Ram. It's known best, that Gnome-Shell requires the first 32gb Ram on its own.
                Awwwwww Candy ... you're a moron. Gnome-Shell runs on a 2GB system from my old work ... and a lot of other things run on the same box, including Postgres, Apache, and some docker containers.

Comment

Working...
                X